We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

Ballarat
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

I have started looking for flights from Melbourne to Athens for May 2014 return June 2014 and so far there are no cheap early bird flights despite these being available to other destinations in Europe. Is there something happening re flights into Greece? Even direct flights from Qatar to Athens are hugely expensive - seems as though none of the regular airlines into Athens are keen to fly there. The best I can do is Singapore Airlines via Singapore to Istanbul then Turkish Air to Athens. Would prefer one stop only

Thank you

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

All flight prices have gone up in the past year but maybe you should wait until a sale comes up, what price are they quoting at the moment?

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

My understanding is that Melbourne has the largest Greek population outside of Greece so there are very strong family, cultural and historic links between the two cities and the airlines know there is a strong demand for this route

Ballarat
Level Contributor
67 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

Thanks for your responses. I actually went in to a couple of Travel Centres in the Greek area of Melbourne today and they both said that the cheap fares to Athens haven't been released yet. Not sure why the ones to other European cities are out but guess I just need to be patient

sydney australia
Level Contributor
3,665 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

Good move the local agents have access to the best fares - and they have a very good relationship with the airlines - so the answer would be correct

5. Re: Why are 2014 flights to Athens from Australia so expensive!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 September 2014, 05:18