We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
985 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Hi...I have flown a bit and usually try to leave at least an hour and a half between flights so that I am not stressed. I am happiest if I have three hours! My son is flying for the first time solo. He is 27, but it would be great if his first time flying went as smoothly as possible!

Flying from Rochester NY to Denver he could choose a 2 hour layover in LGA or 1 hour in MSP or ATL. Any recommendations?

Thanks!!

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,612 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

What time of year, and what time of day? Earlier in the day I'd say LGA, later and I'd say MSP. Winter, all bets are off.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
985 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Thanks for the response!

He would be flying out Oct 9 and returning Oct 23 so, hopefully, no bad weather.

SW has a great price BUT layover is only 30 min in Chicago - that would put me over the edge with worry! lol

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

With southwest, is it a change of plane?

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
985 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Yes - he would have to change planes.

Detroit, MI
Destination Expert
for Detroit, Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Chicago Midway is easy to navigate. No reason you can't make a 30 minute connection, but with Southwest's lack of assigned seating you may find yourself boarding late and stuck in a middle seat.

MSP is not bad either. A little bigger, but lots of moving sidewalks.

Atlanta can be a nightmare. I avoid it whenever possible.

Never connected at LGA.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,812 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Anywhere but LGA.

I agree 30 min is plenty at Midway as long as the first flight is on time. Too bad it's not the same plane or you would not have to worry about it.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
985 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Thanks all - your help is much appreciated!

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
16,636 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Unless he needs a few extra frequent flier miles, I'd take Atlanta out, since that's south, then back north. MSP is a nice airport for a transfer with both moving walkways and a tram inside of security, on the ABC gates side. MDW is very easy too, but without pre-assigned seats, I personally avoid SWA. One thing I would check and advise is what happens if he misses the connection at any of the stops? IS there a later flight he might be able to be backed up on or would he be stuck in the connecting city. This might weigh in my decision.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
13,310 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

Young people love Southwest, and so do I

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
378 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need info regarding US airports...easiest to navigate...

What are the differences in fares? I'd be gun-shy about a 30 minute layover at MDW, since I've been on Southwest flights that are late (and he can't guarantee in advance he'll sit towards the front of the plane, in case that's part of the strategy). Not sure why young people would like Southwest more than other people, unless they like the rehearsed "skits" the fight attendants put on at times. We fly that airline when it has the best fare (taking into account the two "free" bags under 50 lbs. each). If that flight is appreciably less expensive than the others, I MIGHT just risk it, especially if there are other flights to my destination the same day in case I miss the connection). And realize that they may start boarding my "group" (by number) before I get to the date (may end up in a middle seat, but I'd have a seat).

If all fares are about the same, I think I'd opt for MSP over LGA.