We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA allow bags to travel when you have missed the flight

Guildford, England
Level Contributor
5,425 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
AA allow bags to travel when you have missed the flight

We were travelling AA JFK (terminal 8) to Reagan, Washington and were in the AA lounge, We had no idea that the departure board does/did not work in that terminal. So when we were worried about no indication of the flight apart from a delay we went to the gate. On the way there they paged us so we hurried and got to the gate where they said they had closed the flight, We explained that we had checked bags and she without looking up said they would fly with us. A big lie, those bags flew on our original flight. When we arrived they were there on one side awaiting us while others on our flight stood around waiting for baggage delivery. Just makes security a bit of a joke as I thought a no-show meant bags off-loaded

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,860 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA allow bags to travel when you have missed the flight

This is a very common practice I'm afraid and it's practiced by many US carriers

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
51,281 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: AA allow bags to travel when you have missed the flight

This happens all the time. Just a couple of months ago, I was flying from DFW to LAX when my flight experienced a 90-minute delay. I never changed my original flight, but somehow, during the delay, they flew my bags on an earlier non-delayed plane. I then waited 30 minutes at the carousel for nothing. When I was heading over to the AA baggage office, I saw my bags sitting right outside like yours did.

Now, I understand if my flight got misconnected, my bags could have gone before me. This incident was entirely unexpected though when my bags didn't travel with me on the original flight.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,529 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA allow bags to travel when you have missed the flight

Hi,

Yes it does happen... But to be fair, the bags that don't travel with their owner are still security screened in the same manner as a bag that does travel with its owner..

The other part that is in play is some operational and timeline tates issues... It only takes a few minutes at best to determine who is and is not onboard.... but .... It can take much longer to find, remove and close up the cargo compartments) after removing any bags from non-traveling passengers..

My suspicion here is that IF you wanted to go to a Positive Passenger Bag Match like system that's used on most international flights, a few things would need to change ...

I suspect you'd have to start *and* end boarding sooner before the posted departure time.. This would now allow for ample time for gate agents to confirm who isn't onboard, find their bag tag information, communicate that to the ramp agents, and lastly for the ramp agents to find and remove the bag in question... all before the posted departure time..

So.. given these realities, I don't see this aspect changing -- speaking for US domestic sectors...

Travel Safe,

4. Re: AA allow bags to travel when you have missed the flight

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 September 2014, 06:22