We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

West Midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

Myself and my husband are planning a trip to florida via Tampa enroute to Anna Maria Island..

I'm just at a loss as to what flight to get us there! The Manchester to Orlando has gone so expensive plus we want to cut the drive down so wondered if this BA flight is a good one to use as have never flown BA before.... There are other US carriers that have a stop en route to there but again unsure of their airlines and if they are any good. Any advice would be welcome...

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

Always best to have as few stops as possible. People will quibble over airlines but in economy, which I presume you will be travelling, there isn't a whole lot of difference, so yes why not cut off a couple hours driving snd fly to Tampa and not be worrying in US immigration if your connection will work.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,273 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

I'd agree with Joe that BA direct to Tampa (from LGW) is a good option - it is currently on sale from £466 in the BA sale which ends in 2 days.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
41 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

We travel to Tampa 2 to 4 times a year as we have a vacation home in Sarasota. LGW to TPA is the easiest route, however we like Charlotte airport as a transit stop. It is small, immigration is quick and you can walk to the various terminals. However, we have discovered it is cheaper to book with American Airlines or Iberia for the BA flight, they code share with BA and do not charge the fuel supplement. Even with the BA sale prices we have saved over £300 for the BA flight on 22 October returning in mid December by booking on the AA site.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
13,684 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

I haven't flown long haul with BA but have looked at flying into Tampa with them a few times but have never been able to get a good price. If you can get tickets for £466 as Tom says, I'd say go for it.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

Thanks joe, much appreciated.. Big help.. And yes US immigration can be a nightmare can't it!

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
352 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

Whilst I have never flown BA economy I would recommend a direct flight to Tampa, last time we were in AMI we flew home from Tampa via Newark to Manchester. It's an easy drive to the Island and less distance than from Orlando (which is what we did on our first visit).

Tampa airport is very nice and that is the way I would do it when we go next.

BA will be no better or worse than any other airline in economy, you could maybe consider booking World Traveller Plus (premium economy) on BA, the BA sale is on for another couple of days and covers departures up until Aug 2014.

If you have never been to AMI before then you are in for a treat, it is a wonderful place. We normally stay by Bradenton Beach close to Cortez Road.

Have a wonderful time.

Cheers

AB

West Midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

Thanks joe, much appreciated.. Big help.. And yes US immigration can be a nightmare can't it!

Thanks everyone ... ATM for nov the flights are coming up for 3 weeks at £1130 ish... Ill investigate the other sites too that have been mentioned and go from there.. Against the clock with the sale though I guess!

Edited: 22 September 2013, 17:16
Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,003 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

We flew into Tampa last November, on BA. Clearing immigration was very quick, as we were the only international flight.

I agree with others a non stop flight is better than making a transit stop. I like BA and they are my preferred carrier. They are as good as any of the carriers.

For me convenience is important.

Barbados
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
16,854 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

I would definitely recommend BA. It's a great airline and your best option to TPA.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British Airways flight from Gatwick to Tampa...QUALITY?

"they code share with BA and do not charge the fuel supplement."

Not sure that I believe that. I just had a look at LHR-JFK return in October. Price on BA was £192 fare plus £357 taxes and supplements. Fare on AA was £645.

It may be cheaper in some cases, but I wouldn't rely on it all the time!