We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Mumbai (Bombay...
1 post
Save Topic
Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Hi All,

I lost my bag while traveling in Malaysia Airlines more than 1 month back. Except for one call which informed me that my bag is officially lost and i will be informed of my compensation amount within 2-3 days i have received no communication. My mails have been unanswered. How long is the normal process of settlement by Airlines Company? Is there any way of escalating the process or issue within Malaysia Airlines without approaching a court of law immediately?

Regards,

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Claim on your travel insurance.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,528 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Hi,

I doubt there is a way to expedite it..

Normally - and each carrier is differrent - it starts with the baggage service claims department who completes the initial claim..

They normally have to send you (or email you) a formal statement that you need to compete and sign.. Some call it a "Claim" others call it a Liability Discharge Waiver.. There's a few names for it.. But there usually IS at least one, if not two, total forms you need to complete and sign before you're ultimately paid.

Once your claim form is received by the carrier either the same (baggae services) department reviews it for completeness and accuracy, *or* it goes to their fraud/audit department who will review it for any signs of fraud, misrepresentation or other issues..

Once its approved , it would be sent to their internal accounts payable department who would then cut a check or disburse the funds in some manner to you..

Remember these departments are normally Monday to Friday only departments and would be closed on national holidays as well.. "Operational" departments would be 24/7 or similar, but usually not administrative or support - which these folks are.

How long should this take? Depends ... If there's forms involved *and* you have to post mail them, you can be looking at 4 to 6 week ... Again.. One "week" is only 5 days - maximum.. And with postal mail you've got that part to add into the timeline..

If you haven't received heard anything from them, I would be wroking the email, phone or other communication methods as I doubt they will just pay you without some interaction or "forms" processing.

Travel Safe,

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
2,863 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

And that is why we all take travel insurance, and if we dont - we suffer the slow process

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Every airline is different but It took us a year to get compensation from Lufthansa, the only thing you can do is keep at them.

2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

We lost our luggage on the flight from Seattle to India via frankfurt on Lufthansa. It's been more than 22 days but still they are not responding. Only thing they say is that the tracing is in progress and will be informed. We have a travel insurance but want to know if we still does have a chance that they find our baggage? And if they don't what is the compensation airlines provide and what we can claim from travel insurance?

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,287 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Chandra S

Welcome to TA but you shouldn't drag up an old thread and post a supplementary question that has no relation to the original subject

"And if they don't what is the compensation airlines provide and what we can claim from travel insurance?"

The airlines website is the best place to find out about what compensation they are obliged to give you and it's impossible to provide an answer for travel insurance as the terms and conditions of every policy can vary.

2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

Oops! Sorry about that TomC97. I didn't realize i was replying to the old thread since i lost my connection while writing the message. I will check if i can take the post off this thread. Sorry again!

8. Re: Lost Baggage in Malaysia Airlines

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 May 2015, 06:16