We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

AA Reward Flights

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Topic
AA Reward Flights

Attempting to nook a business class reward flight to Europe for next summer but there is nothing available at the moment. Does anyone know when AA typically releases business class reward availability?

Edited: 24 September 2013, 18:09
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,707 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: AA Reward Flights

"Does anyone know when AA typically releases business class reward availability?" - I don't think there is any pattern on reward flights but booking well in advance gives you the best chance although travel in the summer period to/from Europe will have limited availability.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: AA Reward Flights

Agreed but perhaps it is too early since there is presently no business class availability to Europe for the summer.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,356 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: AA Reward Flights

You may have to get creative with the routing, using not only AA but partners including BA and Finnair.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,633 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: AA Reward Flights

This year AA has been very stingy on releasing "U" inventory (SAAver business class) on transatlantic flights. However using AA miles you have access to various partners including British Airways, Iberia, Finnair and Air Berlin.

Flights on BA usually involve BA's horrendous fuel surcharges, which really dilute the value of your AA miles. Flights on Iberia also have fuel surcharges but less than with BA; Finnair and Air Berlin (and AA "metal" flights) usually have minimal fees above government taxes.

Air Berlin is a discount carrier in Europe, but its new business class product on longhaul flights gets good reviews. AB flies from Miami to both Berlin and Dusseldorf, with lots of onward connections from both.

You should be able to see availability for most AA partners online at aa.com; be patient as mileage seats are made available only when the yield management computers say it's okay. The programmers are all Hogwarts graduates.

Miami, Florida
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: AA Reward Flights

Great information. I experienced the BA charges you mentioned last year and also would prefer to avoid the LHR stop. Did not see any AB availability for business class but will keep looking.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: AA Reward Flights

Be sure you're checking all your arrival aiport options. There may be business class seats available to DUS for example, but not FRA. Also chek the air.rail destinations. AA flights do have agreements with some of the rail systems in Europe. We used to fly ORD/FRA with a connecting rail ticket to Koln. This was all booked on the AA website and the rail portion was a part of the IRLINE TICKET.

Gold Bar, Washington
Level Contributor
584 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: AA Reward Flights

If you are using AA award mileage and want to use another carrier one world is where you can get a lot of information. I got reward flights on BA and they were very helpful. We were charged for phone reservations but I would not have found routing with out help. Spent about 30 minutes getting just the right flights since non stop was not available in any classes for date I wanted. Look up one world and all the airline options appear. My trip is next May but they might release seats if there are a lot of unsold tickets.

8. Re: AA Reward Flights

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2014, 10:20