We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

BA flight changes- one ticket

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
BA flight changes- one ticket

Hi all I booked flights from Glasgow to Goa with BA. I booked direct on their website. It is one ticket and our bags go straight through. We change at Heathrow and Mumbai. Since booking these flights we have been faced with significant changes. Last change was June when our flight from heathrow was cancelled. When we booked our stops were small. We paid more to go BA as the stops were reasonable.

I got a phone call today and was asked to call BA. I called BA who said our flight from Goa to Mumbai on the way back is cancelled. They gave offered us an earlier flight. Now we gave gone from a 3 hour stop to a 5 hour stop to a 14 hour stop. It is safe to say I was not overly pleased as we fly in 5 weeks. BA customer service was shocking. I was told to deal with it. I asked to be moved onto other flights ( there are two later ones which work for us) but I was told no. BAs position is that I don't have a contract with BA. They said the internal flight is someone else ( jet airways ) and told me to phone them. They said there are other flights but not jet airways. My position is that I booked one ticket. All my money has gone to BA. They said I can book the Goa - Mumbai flight but that's it. Surely if I have paid for one return ticket they need to be doing a full refund?

I'm phoning tomorrow as I was getting nowhere with the call centre. Any help/ tips? Ideally I don't want to cancel but to be put on the flight that suits my connection.

Thanks all!

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

Sorry for the typos! On my iPhone!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
361 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

BA's hands will be relatively tied if Jet Airways have made a schedule change. Jet has farmed out a lot of its services to JetLite which does not interline with many other carriers which may cause more difficulty.

Are there alternative flights you can see that you would prefer to be offered? BA will only be able to offer you Jet Airways mainline or Air India, so just limit yourself to those carriers. BA fares will also only permit certain booking classes to be used on Jet or Air India so that is something else that might (or might not) be an issue. With 5 weeks notice, hopefully these would still be available.

Finally, check whether there is a suitable routing via somewhere else in India such as Delhi. Do a little search on ba.com for a London - Goa fare on the date you are travelling (don't complicate things with Glasgow - that is the easy bit). If it offers you a reasonably priced fare (whether routed via Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore etc), then chances are that the correct availability can be had on Jet Airways or Air India. If it gives you some extortionate figure, then the opposite applies.

You shouldn't have to do the airline's job for them, but many times it is much better if you are in a position of knowledge and know what you want.

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

BA are refusing to move us on to the air India flight. There is one that connects but they say they have no contract with them despite the flight being available on their website. I'm phoning again today

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

Can you get a refund and rebook ?or is it much more expensive?

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

Sounds quite a mess, let us know how it goes after you contact them today, I'm interested to see how it pans out for future reference if it should ever happen to me as I book a lot of flights with BA.

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

Update.

BA will not re route us back to heathrow. We must go through Mumbai as per our ticket (its one ticket when it suits them!). They will only swap a jet airways flight for another jet airways. They will not swap to air India.

BA have have me the following options:

14 hours in Mumbai . No hotel etc. apparently not even a goodwill gesture voucher

A full refund on all my flights ( not ideal with 5 weeks to go and an entire trip pre booked to suit the flights)

We can get refund for the flight they have cancelled and book at our

Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

cost onto the air India flight. This will cost am extra £80 and will be a seperate flight so if its late/ cancelled then we are on our own of we miss the flight back to heathrow.

And that's it. Hardly ideal

Last night BA offered another jet airways flight to cut 14 hours down to 8 hours. I asked today about it to say I wasn't allowed on that way as its a jet airways but a different branch! Despite being told last night this wasn't case. Of course the notes on my file say I was told this.

The complete frustration I have with BA is incredible. Our trip going round India has turned into a stressful mess. I understand flights change but when there is a perfectly good flight that connects for us, is available and on their website as a sister company but they won't let me on it. The girl today basically said there wasn't much they can do and they will just refund me and as far as they are concerned that resolves it. BA your customer service is disgraceful. Not an airline that should be allowed to fly our great nations flag I tell ya!!

Sooooo it looks like we will be forking out for the airport hotel in Mumbai. Thanks BA!

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

We had a similar problem, I received an email in July to say our Jet flight from Mumbai to Goa had changed times by 10mins and if we accepted the change not to do anything, so I did nothing but I did check my booking on BA and saw the new time.

Fast forward a month and I check my booking again and first jet flight is there again showing as cancelled and 2nd flight now showing unconfirmed and a message asking me to click to accept the changes but when I did got a message saying it couldn't be done on line and to contact customer service so I did and they said fine it's all changed and we will receive a new confirmation in a day or two, kept checking on line and flight showing confirmed again but I didn't receive the email and forgot about it.

Earlier this month got a call from BA saying there was a problem with the flight, the Jet flight was now a Jet connect flight and BA only have an agreement with Jet not any of their offshoots. She then said she could book us on this flight but it would be on a separate ticket we had 3 hours connection time but I've been through Mumbai a number of times during the day and although it's doable, I wouldn't risk it on a separate ticket. So she said she would have a look at other options and get back to me.

She called back next day and offered an Air India flight it's an 8 hour layover but I feel it's a better option with it being on a separate booking.

She did offer us a different option flying via Bangalore but the layover was 15 hours.

I had already checked other options and noticed the price had increased loads since we booked back in February we are travelling 23/24 Dec but the Air India Mumbai to Goa was approx £70 each but when BA phoned back they said they would refund us out flight £35 each and we would have to pay for the AI flight at £150 each I disagreed and was about to say I will book it myself when ok we will just charge you what you paid for the Jet flight.

I would try again 0191 5907900 put 141 before the number as it tells you to use the 08 number calling from the uk. A different rep might be more helpful.

Good luck

Edited: 26 September 2013, 23:16
Scotland
Level Contributor
374 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

They won't budge on the air India. There is a 20.25 that gets in at 23.25. Our flight to heathrow is 02.40. BA will not change Us.They told me its against there contracts etc etc if I want that flight I pay for it and its seperate. Jet airways have switched most flights to jet connect which means BA won't let you on. So frustrated with the entire thing.

I wish we had paid a little more for emirates now. Lesson learned.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
29,298 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: BA flight changes- one ticket

Suncrush,

While I can understand your frustration, and BA looks like it's done a poor job explaining things to you (dreamingofgoa got a better agent), the cause of this looks to be with Jet Airways. It's Jet that controls which flights can be booked as connectors using interline bookings, and so BA is at the mercy of what Jet will offer. There's not much that BA can do here. Their code share partner for India was Kingfisher, but they went bust in 2012.

Not that this is going to be any help for you this time, but from the middle of next week Qatar joins OneWorld. That will give BA a much more solid partner going forward for interlining connections (they may even code share) to provincial cities in India.

Good luck.

Edited: 27 September 2013, 01:45