We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

London, United...
Level Contributor
131 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

Hi,

I will be travelling to South Island of New Zealand and the East Coast of Australia for 4 weeks.

Booking flights however seems very complicated - especially as I am able to be flexible with the dates and airports I can use. As a result I am confused as to how I can book these - is it best to use a travel agent? I have always usually booked flights myself but I would be here for hours trawling through the multiple options.

I am looking for the following flights:

Timings: I am flexible with timings for when I can go - I have 4 weeks of annual leave that I can take anytime between 21st October and 12th December.

To see the South island of NZ and East Coast of Australia, I am flexible as to the order in which I see them in based on the price of the flights. I would like to get the cheapest possible flights both in terms of the long haul flight from/to London and the internal flights within Australia and between New Zealand.

I am hence happy to fly from LONDON INTO or OUT OF the following airports:

- Auckland

- Brisbane

- Sydney

- Melbourne

I am hence looking for prices and options based on the above airports based on my timings above.

Internal Flights:

I will also need internal flights based on the below itinerary - ie. to Sydney, to Melbourne, to Brisbane, to Queenstown, etc but this is subject to the long haul flights I book.

NEW ZEALAND

- Queenstown

- Franz Josef

- Abel Tasman

- Wellington (can skip this if flights are expensive from here)

AUSTRALIA

- Whitsundays (via flight to Cairns?)

- Fraser Island

- Byron Bay

- Sydney

- Melbourne

Are any of the above places I'd like to see better to fly from one place to the next? Ie. if flights are cheap from Sydney to Queenstown then maybe it's better I fly this route, etc.

If anyone has any tips on this and has done something similar, please let me know!

Thanks,

Nina

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,910 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

ninsc,

Any chance you could repost that last itinerary - and remove anything non flight related? As SS pointed out, it's very difficult to read, as for what you do at each destination isn't so important.

Edited: 02 October 2013, 15:54
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,263 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

This itinary is just crazy, you are trying to do to much in such a short space of time. It reminds me of tourists coming to Europe and trying to see ten countries in ten days.

New Zealand alone needs 4 weeks to really see both Islands and to take in the flavour. Have you any idea how long and tiring a bus journey from Airlie Beach to Byron Bay is. Why not spend more time in Queensland, you need a least a week in Cairns, three or four nights in the Whitsundays and a night or two on Fraser Island.

Have you any idea how big Australia is, I am sorry, you itinary is madness.

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

London- christchurch via La and Auckland !

Christchurch - queenstown

And from queenstown- Brisbane or sydney

All air nz

Once you 're in Australia use virgin blue and fly out if sydney back to the uk!

Why not take advantage if the stop overs while you're at it. It will only cost the accomadation no extra flight costs!

I would possible choose to finish on the gold coast, broad beach would be my choice, it has lovely eateries and gorgeous beaches, good shopping and us very relaxing !

You can fly via Sydney home!either from Brisbane which is an easy train ride from there it from Gold Coast airport ( coolangata)

noosa
Level Contributor
340 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

crazypom and the others are right. Nina you are a crazy pom! You remind me of the Japanese tourists, that stop in every town for one night, take heaps of photos and by the time the get them developed they have no idea where that was? BUT they have visited 7 countries in 7 days. Mad. Good luck girl!

Gold coast
Level Contributor
106 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
35. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

Just a suggestion, if you are going to cairns and Whitsunday islands to dive great barrier reef why not instead try Herron island, fantastic diving and snorkeling right off the beach and being the most southern part of reef only an hour flight in smaller plane to Gladstone and right near Frazier island. Could save yourself a heap of traveling time spent in the bus.we have snorkeled all down the eastern coast and heron is our most favourite for reef, fish and the fact it is just right off the beach, unlike cairns and Whitsunday where you need to boat it around 11/2 hrs on large catamaran. Much more relaxing and more flexible with the weather conditions.

Also another plus for Heron has no problem with irracangee jellyfish so no need for stinger protection that you will need at the other two places.enjoy your holiday!

Gold coast
Level Contributor
106 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
36. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

Brisbane to Gladstone qantas or virgin around $80 one way. Then transfer to heron via large boat from. Marina, they will organize transport from airport to Gladstone marina. Three nights wouldbe ideal.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,901 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

Firstly I can relate to this itinerary . Its the sort of thing we would do - and we are in our 60's. So yes its a bit hectic - but doable IMO. You'll have a ball!

Secondly why are you catching a bus Cairns to Airlie?. That's an awfully long trip and a waste of time IMO. You can fly direct from Cairns to Hamilton Island with Qantas. Makes much more sense IMO.

38. Re: Booking complex flights from London to New Zealand/Australia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2014, 05:17