We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Most of nmy friends check their infant/toddler carseats. We are bringing it on board and I am looking for input. Flying American Airlines on an international flight, with a large Britax seat. I'm aware it will cramp us sitting next to her. I'm not positive it will fit unless the arm rests go up. I've heard it depends on the airline. Thanks for any input. P.S. we plan to use the Britax travel cart for ease of airport transport. Any other toddler traveling tips welcome:). We have a bunch of new toys stocked for the trip.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Hi.

I am in the middle of my 5 week tour of America with my nearly 3yo (we are Australian). I am using a CARES harness (www.kidsflysafe.com), which is approved by FAA, and when in its bag is about the size of a small loaf if bread. So much easier than travelling with car seat. Some taxi companies have car seats, or we use bus transfers, or private cars, trains etc.

Where are you going and for how long?

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Flying from Chicago to Ireland for almost 2 weeks. I looked into that, but since we want a carseat for our rental car, it makes sense to bring our seat from home. I have heard bad things about renting child seats from the rental car companies. I figure she is more likely to sleep on the flight if in her own seat. If we did not need a carseat at our destination, I would get the cares harness.

Any other toddler travel tips? This is her first flight, aged 2.75

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

I travel with a convertible seat, but I have a Combi Coccoro, which fits in every airline seat I've ever used it in.

Make sure you know how to install the seat using a lap belt installation. Which specific Britax seat?

Does she usually ride rear facing or forward facing? Most bigger seats need to be installed forward facing, but that's okay even if they usually ride rear facing: crash forces in a plane aren't like those in a car.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
74 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Britax Boulevard and she is forward facing now. Yes I need to study the installation for sure, because in the car we use the latch system.

Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

My son is 5 and has flown long and short haul, always falls asleep whilst the plane is taking off, due to movement I presume, without a car seat. I started travelling on a plane with him at 9 months, he has flown appx 8 times. I would check the car seat in and all have comfort during The flight

Level Contributor
61 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Oh and forgot to say you must check the type of seat belt buckle on your hire car, if it's a raised buckle clip and your seat has plastic casing the plastic cannot touch the car seat - please google "buckle crunch"'if your not sure what I mean although I assume they have this in the US also

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,239 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

We've flown internationally with our son since he was 2 and we have never taken the car seat. We have always booked a car seat with the rental car. We've booked the convertible seats when he was a toddler and more recently, booster seats. What sort of bad things have you heard about car seats from rental companies? When you are traveling with a toddler, dealing with the stroller and luggage is enough, not to mention lugging a bulky car seat too.

Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

If it's large and the arm rests can't go down, they may not let you use it. I had clients take their large one and the FA said the arm rests of the plane must be able to go down during take off and landing. I am taking a car seat tomorrow for the first time for my 2 1/2 year old and I had to borrow one as mine had it's own arm rests and that wouldn't work either.

I'm only taking mine because he is a bad traveler and I want to be able to lock him in and hopefully he will sleep. I never took one with my other two at any age, so this is new to me as well. Wish I didn't have to:(

But I did want to make sure it would fit because nothing worse than having to haul a car seat through airports (we have connections) if we couldn't even use it on the plane.

Edited: 04 October 2013, 14:58
Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
33,985 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

You need to check direct with the airline for seat measurements, which vary by aircraft. I agree with maried. If the aircraft arms won't go down they probably won't allow you to use it.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
24,075 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Have you flown with a convertible car seat?

Unfortunately, there are a lot of poorly trained flight attendants out there, especially when it comes to using carseats on planes. There is no universal rule that armrests between seats must go down during takeoff and landing: the only reason to restrict use of a carseat due to armrests is if there is a non-related passenger in one of the seats being encroached on, much in the same way that if an overweight person cannot put down the armrest between themselves and a non-companion, they may need to purchase a second seat. That said, there is only so much that one can do when a flight attendant decides to enforce a non-rule.