We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

Toronto
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

Before I begin the arduous process of phoning the airline reservations - has anyone had success having the airline's direct reservations match (or beat) aggregator pricing.

I can get pricing on Kayak that is $$300.00 cheaper for my itinerary than any pricing I can get online with the same airline directly (Air Canada) - the routing is different, but why would that matter? Can't get identical routing between the two.

So - I guess I have nothing to lose by calling the airline (other than my probably long time on the phone)

Has anyone succeeded doing this?

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,820 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

>>>I can get pricing on Kayak that is $$300.00 cheaper for my itinerary than any pricing I can get online with the same airline directly (Air Canada) - the routing is different, but why would that matter? Can't get identical routing between the two<<<

Yes it does matter.

Must compare apples to apples, otherwise of course you aren't going to get matching fares.

And most airlines wouldn't offer you price matching, they don't operate like a hotel.

Edited: 05 October 2013, 20:05
Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
21,379 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

You also need to remember that whichever 3rd party site is advertising the lower fare on Kayak may not have it actually available when it comes to try to book the fare - lots of 3rd parties don't have live prices but take your booking only to contact you later to say the fare is no longer available but we can get it for an extra $$$.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
16,886 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

Kayak does not sell tickets. They direct you to another site to buy them from. What site are they directing you to? I have occasionally found tickets cheaper on Orbitz, Expedia, etc. than direct from the airlines. If it's significant, you can buy from the third party site.

Air Canada does have a price guarantee. Here's the link. I'd look it over before calling the airline.

aircanada.com/en/…index.html

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,397 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

Don't waste your time.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
11,415 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

You won't find a legit 3rd party site selling an Air Canada ticket cheaper than Air Canada does for the exact same routing at the exact same time.

Much as lots of people in Canada like to complain about AC, the pricing of their flights on their website is easy to understand and use.

Likely when you try to actually buy that supposedly cheaper AC flight you will find it has magically disappeared. So many advertisers of "cheap flights" do not have up to the minute dynamic pricing. They often are just quoting you fares "as low as", which in the real world means "they ain't actually available any more".

Edited: 06 October 2013, 01:39
6. Re: Airline matching aggregator (Kayak etc.) pricing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2014, 06:19