We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

$1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
$1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

I am trying to book two flights for Dec 27 - one from Houston and another from Newark. The flight from Houston has a 1 hr layover at Newark. And it's the same flight that I'm booking from Newark.

Houston -> Newark (UA322) -> Mumbai : Costs $726

Newark (UA322) -> Mumbai : Costs $2300

Please note that even though it's the same set of flights, the difference in price is ridiculous considering the one from Houston actually involves more travel.

I tried calling the customer care, but they don't seem to understand the situation.

Salisbury, United...
Level Contributor
8,765 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

That's airline pricing for you, no one understands it. UA are trying to capture passengers from Houston to use their flight, hence the cheap fare. It's all about filling seats on planes. Airfare don't have anything to do with the distance flown!

Whatever you do don't think you can buy the flight from Houston and board at Newark. If you try this and don't board at Houston you whole flight, return included will be cancelled.

If you are looking for a cheaper flight you may have to be inventive. Most people want non stop flights so they may be more expensive. You may find a one stop flight with another airline is cheaper from Newark. Look on Skyscanner or similar for one stop flights. Maybe flying to Europe and then on to Mumbai, BA, Lufhansa, Swiss or similar.

You need to have alook at all your options.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Well obviously not too many Texicans want to travel to Mumbai so I guess they are just trying to attract more people to fly there, isn't that unusual to come across these anomalies but have to admit price differential is quite large

Don't see how or why customer services should care, just buy a ticket to Houston if it still means a great deal

Edited: 05 October 2013, 20:38
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Is it the total price or the difference between the two that upsets you, or both? Would you feel better if the Houston price was higher? You think you'll get the airline to change their pricing by calling customer service? You expect a phone agent to slap their palm to their forehead, exclaim "You're right!" and lower the price from EWR (or maybe raise it from Houston)? Wish it were that easy. The prices are, of course, set by others in the corporatin. Just how much of a difference would you accept as not being "ridiculous"? You may find other flights that cost much more, or much less.

Is this one-way? If you're wedding to United, you pay what they charge. Expedia shows a number of flights for less than $1000 for this trip one-way, though leaving from JFK, including Kuwait Airways, Air India, Egypt Airways and Virgin Atlantic. A somewhat more limited selection from EWR, but still flights cheaper than you found with United.

New York City, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Thanks for the reply. It's just that my partner lives in Houston and I live in NY. We want to travel together. Hence the post.

I guess one option would be for me to travel to Houston and take the flight there.

Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Or have them fly to Newark. Or fly separately, meet in Mumbai, and save money.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
6,045 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

If the flight out of Houston is that much cheaper, Book 2 seats out of Houston, then fly SWA from the NYC area to Houston. I would suggest flying in the day before the flight to India and flying back the day after your return from India.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,491 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

I agree if it's really that much cheaper from Houston, get a cheap flight from NYC to Houston and fly there the day before. Seems silly, but sometimes airline pricing is kind of screwy.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,659 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Hi,

To piggy-back off #1, I'd wonder if you weren't also comparing different fare classes as well..

It's not unknown for a fare in one of the higher economy fare classes to be double or more in price over what a ticket booked in one of the lower(est) classes might be..

That's why looking at and comparing equal "like" fares on a ABC -> XYZ and a DEF -> XYZ is hard to do unless you've marched up all the different ticketing elements ..

Travel Safe,

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,836 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Have you looked at one stops from Newark (which would be 2 stops from Houston)? I suspect that because EWR-BOM is non stop that's why the fare is higher, because it's much more convenient. From IAH, United is competing against other carriers on one stops and so the fare may be priced much lower.

So, looking at one stops from EWR may yield you cheaper fares, and if you want to stick with United (MileagePlus?) look at options with Lufthansa via FRA, Swiss via ZRH, and United via London Heathrow (the LHR-BOM flight is code shared with Jet Airways). On some of those your partner could fly to the intermediate airport (FRA, LHR) and you could meet there.

Edited: 06 October 2013, 01:24
Fortaleza, CE
Level Contributor
9,183 posts
375 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: $1600 difference in United ticket price for the same flight

Southwest flies to Hobby Airport downtown, not George Bush International. If you go that route, be sure to allow time for a transfer. http://goo.gl/maps/VKjHu