We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

WEST MIDLANDS
5 posts
Save Topic
Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

its been an absolute nightmare trying to offer feedback to Emirates who have teamed up with Qantas on a return flight from UK to Dubai recently(which incidentally we booked 7 months ago from the UK as a surprise trip for our daughters birthday) we wanted it to be a special occaison as we had planned this trip a year ago. hmm its certainly one which we wont forget in a hurry.

It started with us arriving for passenger check in at Dubai when going back home to the UK only to be told we had less than 50% chance of flying and seats where not confirmed - "Sorry"? i said, I just booked this ticket several months ago and we have to get back to school etc, it should be all ok. In fact the staff were so condecending and patrionisng which i did not expect (as i have flown with them before and its been a good airline.) ,however we where told to go and argue our case else where in the arport which we had no clue as people who will know Dubai will also know Dubai is a massive airport and as tourists we thought - where? We where told that one reason was because we had not checked in on line. i argued that "excuse me nowadays we dont have to go through this process, however i did tell her i actually tried to check in last night and the web links did not go forward - the link would not take us forward to confirm our seats so i explained if you guys have merged etc then you should sort that technical I.T fault out and that was ther fault plus i was told why have i got two flight numbers (e ticket showed one was for qantas and one was emirates) i even showed her the print out of from the Qantas "trying to book in on line" which i luckily printed out the night before.

i have to say the stress of not being able to get back home for various reason and there total attitude. smirkng to colleagues and then being further bullied by another of their colleagues , who was called over to support the staff really spoilt the ending to a great holiday.

it did not stop there! we had exact luggage allowance on this flight we were allowwed 23kg so one bag had 21 and the other 24 yet they made a fuss about the fact that we should move the 1 kg to the other bag. i asked for a customer feedback form. when i got back tot he UK i fed back to emirates who informed me that i had to feed back to Qantas! as it was there agreement that all feedback would be directed to them. oh my god! i thought they can they even give me the correct complaint feedback form in the first instance? excuse me but if they have become partners in the first instance then why are there two ways of feeding back?? in my view this is just passing the buck. clealry they had overbooked too many people to ravel on that flight and if they had explained that there may have been a different shcool of thought. yet we where made to feel as if it was our fault. you think that if they have become partners they would have one policy for all their proceedures not just make them up as they go along. i was so annoyed at this , but i kept calm and fed back to Qantas, a reply arrived the next day only to say that i need to feed back to emirates as it had nothing to do with them....................ha ha!

this bat and ball game has not ended as i really feel that no one is listening to me and i been left to think that they are incompedent in their professional attitude and this brushing of behaviour has left me annoyed.

Mrs J

Edited: 06 October 2013, 16:59
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,159 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

It sounds confusing ... clear something up for me. You say << because we had not checked in on line. i argued that "excuse me nowadays we dont have to go through this process, however i did tell her i actually tried to check in last night and the web links did not go forward >> .... So you tried to check in online even though you say you don't have to? Did you try phoning when the online check-in failed?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,072 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

Didn't Qantas increase the baggage allowance in economy to match EK's 30kgs allowance?

You state 23Kgs?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,871 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

No QF is still 23kgs.

And most airlines will not allow you to have one bag overweight either. Its not just Qantas.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,815 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

I'm not really sure from your confusing tale whether you were ultimately denied boarding or whether you flew on your original flight?

In any case it is good practice (and is often recommended on this forum) to regularly check your booking and contact the airline at the first sign of problems - ie when you were unable to check in online. That way any potential issues are dealt with before you arrive at the airport.

Regarding your luggage issue sometimes you can pool luggage and sometimes you can't. Surely it should have been a simple matter to transfer a few things from one bag to another?

Another regular recommendation on this forum is to be aware of the luggage allowance and to be within the limits.

It's a shame you are having difficulty giving feedback about these issues and it does seen that you are quite upset.

You may have better results if you are less emotional in your correspondence.

I hope your next flying experience is better.

WEST MIDLANDS
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

QF is 23kg for this flight

WEST MIDLANDS
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

Yes it does sound confusing - let me clarify

i had a look at my online flight status the night before. checked details - yes my flight details where all there but when i tried the links to go further they would not process ( so i printed out a copy of my details just in case i had to show it as evidence. )

i tried to check in to be on the safe side - yet it did not state anywhere that i had to . ie.i have flown before and its not normal practice, nor does it say anywhere that you have too.

at passenger check in i explained this that the links did not work and they disputed that until i showed them a copy of the print out.

i did not deny boarding - why would i? i have no reason to . we had a great holiday and we were going back to school and work etc. i did get on the origional flight, but very late and if i hadnt made a fuss then i wouldnt have at all. later on on the flight i learnt from other passengers that s what happened to them as well.

i agree its good practice to check in on line - but thats not always possible

London
Level Contributor
8,578 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

i did not deny boarding - why would i? <<<< I think Harley meant did the airline deny you boarding, pommy.

Sounds to me that the flight was overbooked. Hence they probably had to wait until check in had closed to find out if they had any no-shows. Probably just very poor communication and explanation from check in staff.

Edited: 07 October 2013, 08:38
WEST MIDLANDS
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

i did transfer items as requested by ground staff. what i am saying is that it was petty of them and this was just uneccesary

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,871 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

Sounds like a storm in a tea cup to me.ie A lot of fuss about absolutely nothing.

You got your flight, you didn't pay excess luggage- so what was your actual problem?

Fredericia, Denmark
Level Contributor
37,532 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Emirates & Qantas hook up to form a partnership

Rules are rules;-)