We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

Australia
Level Contributor
802 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

Just curious....I noticed yesterday Oct 6th the above flight was cancelled (it made the first leg MEL-SYD ok)

Anyone know what they do next - do they bring in an empty 747 from "somewhere", farm out the passengers to Qantas, Delta and Virgin, see who wants to go to SFO if there are any spare seats on the later flight the same day, fill up the next day's flight?

Wondering how long it takes to get 200-300 people to LAX given that Sydney is a bit of a far flung outpost from United's perspective.

(Reason for asking - I am due on that flight again in a few weeks and have noticed a bit of unreliability on the 747's - I think one of the LAX-SYD flights turned back recently too)

Timaru
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

I think we are both making valid points here, economics and age both play a part. I agree, Asian and Arab airlines are doing an excellent job in all forms of air travel, as are airlines in Australia and New Zealand. Merry Christmas.

Timaru
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

Why, what is wrong with two engines versus four, is it not about economics as stated elsewhere.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
55,143 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

'I still say these planes are still past their use by dates, as far as passenger jets are concerned. SOME OF THESE PLANES ARE 25 YEARS OLD' You are welcome to your views. but they should be tempered with some facts.

CAMP - continuous airworthiness maintenance programs - outlines how often aircraft are checked and assessed to ensure they are safe to fly. The checks are mandated by transport and aviation bodies and the airlines must comply with these regulations.

D checks, where an aircraft is for all intents taken apart, assessed and new parts added if necessary, are performed every four or five years. A 25 year old 747 will have been D checked at least five times in that period, and if it continues to pass those and other less stringent checks then it deserves to stay in the sky.

'Retire these beasts of planes as passenger jets, convert them to freighters.' Although passenger jets can be refurbished to cargo jets, I'd rather they stay in business flying people for as long as possible. I have a soft spot for the 744, a workhorse of a plane and one in which I've flown for a great many years. I shall miss them when the last one puts wheels down for the final time.

Edited: 13 December 2013, 08:16
Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
8,802 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

The 2 vs. 4 engines is more complicated than you think. So the following is really simplified.

First it depends on weight. An A380 needs four engines. Two would be not enough. Comparing B777 and A380 is unfair as they have a different size. So compare a A340 with a B777.

Then it depends on the ETOPS rating of the aircraft. Two engine aircrafts have a max duration to reach an airport in case one engine fails. B773 with GE engines have ETOPS rating of 330 minutes. Now that is important if you want to do crossings with your a/c. With shorter ETOPS ratings you will have to take a longer route (schedule, cost) or are not able to fly a route at all.

2 engine a/c need to have larger engines as if one fails the a/c needs to be able to climb out with only one engine. Larger engines tend to cost more.

2 engine a/c are in general more fuel efficient than four engine a/c of the same size.

Also important is the designed cruise speed. It makes a difference in flight duration if you cruise with 0.82 mach or 0.84. The shorter the flight time, the more flights / cycles on the same route are possible either increasing your profit or reduce pricing for customers or any combination of these.

Economics are not calculated for the aircraft but per seat. Hence you need to compare the cost of one passenger travelling. And that brings more into the game than the number of engines. Again and simplified you can either go to extreme in terms of design (B787) with a smaller a/c and less people or just build a larger a/c like the A380. Maybe in the future both approaches can be mixed. However if you build a large a/c the operator need to be able to fill it (load factor). And that will limit the number of routes for very large a/c.

Timaru
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

Once again todays flight 13-1-14, UAL 840 Sydney to Los Angeles is cancelled, this also happened last week.

This airline needs to BADLY lift their game, what a joke it is worldwide. Old 747s not making the grade.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,885 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

"This airline needs to BADLY lift their game, what a joke it is worldwide. Old 747s not making the grade."

For you Australians, they are lifting their game. From April 1st United is replacing the old 747s with 777s on the Australia routes.

More reliable aircraft and a much much better experience in economy. Business class may be a little disappointed with the tight 2-4-2 squeeze, but the on time performance should greatly improve.

12 weeks and counting guys. :-)

[Overall the UA 747s are slated to be replaced by the A350-1000 from 2018.]

Edited: 13 January 2014, 06:05
17. Re: UA840 SYD-LAX cancelled..what happens next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 January 2015, 07:18