We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Topic
Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

Hi,

Can someone please confirm if the rules for hand luggage apply for domestic flights within Australia?

My mum is travelling between Sydney and Coolangatta and will only be taking hand luggage. I had told her that I would think the 100ml for liquid restriction would be applicable as per any international flight.

I said I would ask the forum as I know many of you are highly knowledgable and can give a categoric answer compared to my assumptions.

Many thanks.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,647 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

The liquid rules that apply to international flights do not apply to domestic flights within Australia unless it's a domestic flight connecting from an international flight.

"Do the liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions apply to domestic air services?

No. The liquids, aerosols and gels restrictions only apply to international flights. However, domestic passengers occasionally travel on an international aircraft while it's travelling within Australia (for example, on the Sydney–Melbourne leg of a Hong Kong–Sydney–Melbourne flight). In these circumstances, domestic passengers will board their aircraft at the international terminal, and will be subject to international restrictions.

If you are unsure whether your flight is domestic or international, please contact your airline."

…infrastructure.gov.au/domestic/faq/airport_…

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

AFAIK there are no International flights that go between SYD and OOL. It will be a domestic flight leaving from either T2 or T3.

So the usual domestic rules apply.

While it's true that any amount of liquids, aerosols and gels may be taken on board, aerosols must be declared and presented at security.

She should also be aware that each airline here has its own weight and size limits for carry on luggage and those limits are strictly enforced in most cases.

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

Thanks for your reply. As mentioned the flight is definitely a domestic one and not a 'connection' for an international destination.

Can you please elaborate what 'usual domestic rules apply' Means. I have not flown domestic for a long time, and neither has my mum. I have given my mum advice based on my flight experience, which is international only.

It seems to be the case that my advice is not correct as domestic flights are on a different hand luggage rule completely.

Your help is much appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,883 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

Are you asking about liquids or carry-on luggage sizes?

There are no liquid restrictions as to quantity .... obviously there are restrictions to the type of liquid, no flammable material etc.

Each airline has different size restrictions depending on aircraft, just check on their website for your specific size limits.

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

Luggage restriction are clearly explained on each airlines website. If you tell us which airline you mother is flying perhaps we can give you the link if you can't find it yourself?

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
17,547 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

Domestic flight security regs:

…infrastructure.gov.au/domestic/…index.aspx

London
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

Thanks everyone for your help. It was less about the weight/size of the hand luggage but more concerning the restrictions for security ie, liquids allowed etc.

Many thanks for the link. This was very informative.

Mum will be flying Jetstar from Sydney to Coolangatta and Qantas from Coffs Harbor to back to Sydney.

I wasn't sure if the same rules re liquids etc applied for domestic as they do for international flights.

Again much thanks from myself and especially from my mum!

8. Re: Domestic Australian flight hand luggage rules?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2014, 05:18