We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

I am writing regarding a shocking and disturbing incident that occurred on the 16th of September.

My wife and 5 children were on Route from Manchester airport to TLV on easy jet to join me for the funeral of my mum who passed away at a young age after a short illness. All the passengers in the group were denied boarding and treated in the most inhumane way possible. I have plenty of witnesses to the incident and it is shocking to hear some of the statements.

One of the passports had only 2 months left on it. On the day before the flight we spoke to easyjet who confirmed there would be no issue as long as Israel were ok with it. We spoke to the embassy in London, boarder control in Israel and the home office and they all confirmed no issue. We then checked in on line entered the API nothing was flagged, when we did the bag drop at the airport they checked the passports and again no issue. Why on earth did they wait until boarding to inspect the passports And deny them all boarding. Why were all the passengers denied boarding??? Why couldn’t the flights be changed for the next day???

But that is the least of the issues, the way they were handled and threatened by the staff was a disgrace. They were grieving enough as it was and to have to go through such humiliation and abuse, is a disgrace and must be addressed with immediate effect.

I have interviewed some of the other passengers on the flight, and they were stunned that in today’s day and age anyone can be treated the way my family were, never mind a young woman travelling with small children to her mother in laws funeral.

Easyjet don’t seem to bothered at all about the incident, and I have confirmed to them that I will be going to the media and the CAA, which I now have done and they are taking a keen interest.

If I do not get a acceptable reply from the airline and all parties including Manchester airport I will pursue this matter through the legal challenge. It is totally unacceptable and we cannot let other passengers be abused by some of your staff.

We are planning to go back to Israel for a ceremony this coming week with all the extended family from Manchester, but my wife refuses to fly due to this story.

HOW SAD IS THAT!!!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,603 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Regardless of what you were told on the phone the following is the passport requirement for entry into Israel:

"All travelers entering Israel, Jordan, or Sinai must present a valid passport with an expiration date not less than 6 months from the date of entry into those countries."

Easyjet (or any airline) is bound by the rules of the country they are flying to. Perhaps the point they actually check is at boarding, not booking, printing passes, checking bags etc.

We have heard your side of the story, be interesting hear Easyjet's now.

BTW, sorry for the loss of your mother.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,858 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Not trying to take anything away from your complaint, but the API is for the UK government, and sometimes other EU governments, as part of the e-borders programme so they can monitor who is departing and arriving. A UK passport with 2 months to expiry is fine to re-enter the UK or any other part of the EU, so there's no reason for API to flag anything.

I'm also a bit puzzled by the whole group being denied boarding if only one passport was being questioned. There must be more going on. Did your wife (understandably) refuse to leave one of her family behind?

Edited: 10 October 2013, 13:38
Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,848 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

If they hadn't been stopped in Manchester they would have been send back by Israeli immigration and easyJet would have been fined. I don't understand why your wife went to the trouble of asking easyJet, Israeli border control, teh London embassy and the home office, when a simple Google search would have quickly revealed that the passport was not okay for travel.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,848 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

"I'm also a bit puzzled by the whole group being denied boarding if only one passport was being questioned. There must be more going on."

From a post by the OP on the Get Satisfaction forum it sounds as if the wife's passport was the issue and that they wanted to board the kids with a family friend instead. Depending on the situation I can understand why easyJet would not allow this.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

"I don't understand why your wife went to the trouble of asking easyJet, Israeli border control, teh London embassy and the home office,"

Clearly she knew it might (would) be a problem or why bother asking in the first place. The reason for asking is so that she could bring out "But I was told by x, y, and z that ot would be OK so you have to let me board" argument.

It's very sad, but she was never going to be allowed to fly and if she had been she would not have been admitted to Israel. I imagine that she was pretty insistent but from what you have written the airline applied the rules correctly.

You haven't gone into detail about what was said by whom, but I imagine your wife and children were understandly upset and that may have contibuted to inflaming the situation as well.

Edited: 10 October 2013, 13:45
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,254 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

I think there is more to this than the poster is letting on. It just doesn't sound right to me.

London
Level Contributor
8,332 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

easyJet rules do state

'Children aged 13 years or younger cannot travel unless they are accompanied by an adult who is at least 16 years old and who will take full responsibility for them.'

In the absence of further facts, this seems to have been the problem.

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Thanks for the condolences... Firstly, the passport in question was of the 5 year old not my wife... Secondly Israel said under the circumstances they would give right of entry as long as we could prove a return ticket which we had. Thirdly, we gave easyjet a credit card with a £2000.00 limit to cover any expenses should anyone be returned, but they refused.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
35,245 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

£2000 would have covered the return flights, but would it have covered the amount Easyjet would have been fined if anyone was refused entry into Israel? I somehow doubt it.

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Andy, if the airline does not allow boarding due to documentation, should the API flag it up regardless of why the API is there, why wait till boarding.

Your second point is the whole point here why did they deny all the passengers boarding???

The reason why she went through all the trouble of asking is because it is the airlines discretion to let passengers fly under special circumstances. This was a special circumstance and in the words of the airline themselves (which i have in writing) "The agent also asked her to contact the TLV embassy for more information" ..... if the policy of the airline is not to allow the passenger to fly they why say we dont have an issue but confirm with the embassy....???

One of the options was for the 4 other kids to go with family or freinds who were also on the flight and my wife to remain and sort the passport, but that was also denied....