We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

I am writing regarding a shocking and disturbing incident that occurred on the 16th of September.

My wife and 5 children were on Route from Manchester airport to TLV on easy jet to join me for the funeral of my mum who passed away at a young age after a short illness. All the passengers in the group were denied boarding and treated in the most inhumane way possible. I have plenty of witnesses to the incident and it is shocking to hear some of the statements.

One of the passports had only 2 months left on it. On the day before the flight we spoke to easyjet who confirmed there would be no issue as long as Israel were ok with it. We spoke to the embassy in London, boarder control in Israel and the home office and they all confirmed no issue. We then checked in on line entered the API nothing was flagged, when we did the bag drop at the airport they checked the passports and again no issue. Why on earth did they wait until boarding to inspect the passports And deny them all boarding. Why were all the passengers denied boarding??? Why couldn’t the flights be changed for the next day???

But that is the least of the issues, the way they were handled and threatened by the staff was a disgrace. They were grieving enough as it was and to have to go through such humiliation and abuse, is a disgrace and must be addressed with immediate effect.

I have interviewed some of the other passengers on the flight, and they were stunned that in today’s day and age anyone can be treated the way my family were, never mind a young woman travelling with small children to her mother in laws funeral.

Easyjet don’t seem to bothered at all about the incident, and I have confirmed to them that I will be going to the media and the CAA, which I now have done and they are taking a keen interest.

If I do not get a acceptable reply from the airline and all parties including Manchester airport I will pursue this matter through the legal challenge. It is totally unacceptable and we cannot let other passengers be abused by some of your staff.

We are planning to go back to Israel for a ceremony this coming week with all the extended family from Manchester, but my wife refuses to fly due to this story.

HOW SAD IS THAT!!!!

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

So they were not actually denied boarding but the only option available would have been to leave the 5 year old behind. That is not the same thing as all being denied boarding unless they insisted that all or none board.

Regardless, you talked to the Israeli authorites. What proof did you present Easyjet that it was ok to allow your 5 year old to travel on a passport about to expire? I bet just your word and not anything signed and in writing or a contact name and number.

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

You are right it was our word against theirs at the gate as we only spoke to the embassies emergency line being a Sunday and they could give us anything in writing.

BUT, that doesnt give them the right to deny the other 5 passengers or at least the other kids from boarding.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

If your wife was willing to stay behind with the five-year-old, and there were people known to your wife on the flight who were willing to be responsible for the other children, then according to Easyjet's policies as already quoted, I see no reason why the other children couldn't have flown and I agree that the other children were inappropriately denied boarding.

Loughborough...
Level Contributor
4,150 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

The API system is run by the UK Border Agency, not Easyjet, the airlines just feed information into it in the required format. It records details of people leaving the UK and people travelling to the UK. If your documents weren't in order to enter the UK it might tell you, but it certainly isn't designed to tell you whether you meet entry requirements for foreign countries. Maybe it should do, but they seem to have enough problems getting it to work properly as it is.

Perhaps a matter for your MP if you feel strongly it should have this feature.

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Before the flight left, and while it was all going on i was on the phone to senior managment to see what could be done ( as if i had nothing better to do) and i confirmed to them several passengers who are either family or friends and they confirmed there should be no reason not to let them board, and if they are denied they would refund all those tickets in full. They were denied boarding for no apparent reason, and when i challnged easyjet when we returned to the UK they claimed all the passengers refused to fly. I am sure thats why most people purchase tickets " to refuse to fly"....

By the way we have witnesses for every aspect of this story....

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

"By the way we have witnesses for every aspect of this story...."

I just hope they are *independent* witnesses and not "either family or friends"...

Edited: 10 October 2013, 14:54
manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Thanks andy for the information. Still doesnt answer why is was left till boarding and not ie by checkin where they check the passports...

I have spoken to a representative of Manchester airport and they say that is a fair complaint...

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,444 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

"By the way we have witnesses for every aspect of this story"

Be willing to bet so does Easyjet.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,312 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

" ie by checkin where they check the passports.."

Pople are only human and things get missed. It is likely that the check in clerk simply didn't notice.

manchester
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: easyjet denied boarding at manchester airport

Independent.

A gentleman approached me while abroad and he says "sorry to hear about your mum, we were absolutly shocked to see what was going on at the gate with your wife and kids, we have never experienced or seen anything like it, we were stunned the whole way"