We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
461 reviews
Save Topic
Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

Hi everybody.

Currently on our honeymoon in Japan and were due to go to some islands south of Tokyo tomorrow. Due to the incoming cyclone the ferry service has been cancelled so we have decided on a quick trip to Seoul.

Is there any immigration/visa issue with flying out of Japan to South Korea at such short notice for a few days?

We are UK residents and flew in from the UK to Narita last Friday. We are due to fly back to the UK from Narita on the 11th of November.

I have looked around on the internet and this forum but can't quite find an answer. Need to book the flights soon as they are for tomorrow afternoon!

Hope someone can help.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,569 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

"We are UK residents .... "

Do you mean you are UK citizens using UK passports?

If so, it appears you do not need a visa for a stay of up to 90 days. http://cibtvisas.co.uk/visa-quick-check.php#K .It's your responsibility to check with the Korean embassy website. I also checked on Timatic (the airlines' database for allowing passengers to board), and it says -

"Passport required.

- Passport and/or passport replacing documents must be valid on arrival.

Passport Exemptions:

- Holders of a Certificate of Identity (passport-style booklet) issued by United Kingdom to nationals of United Kingdom.

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 90 days:

- for holders of British passports endorsed British Citizen or British National (Overseas) ;

Visa required, except for A max. stay of 30 days for nationals of United Kingdom traveling as tourist, if arriving at and departing from Jeju (CJU) and For details, click here

Visa required, except for Those who have previously entered Korea (Rep.) at least 4 times within the last 2 years, or at least 10 visits in total.

Additional Information:

- Visitors are required to hold proof of sufficient funds to cover their stay and documents required for their next destination.

- Holders of e-visas are required to hold an Electronic Visa Issuance Confirmation, issued by the Ministry of Justice."

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

There is no problem for EU passport holders to travel between Japan and Korea. I recommend you to use flights between Haneda and Kimpo. These airports are much closer to city centers and faster to go through customs and passport controls.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,452 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

Unless arriving from Japan (which seems completely unlikely) has an impact, then your UK passport should be just fine.

We are recently back from 2 weeks in September in South Korea. If you want some quick pointers of what to do in Seoul, please PM me as it would be 'off topic' for this forum!

Sorry about the cyclone impacting your honeymoon. Saw it on the TV news last night, doesn't look good!

SWT

Biarritz, France
Destination Expert
for Biarritz, San Sebastian - Donostia, Basque Country
Level Contributor
4,543 posts
461 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

Thank you everyone for your advice. Flights are now booked and we leave tomorrow afternoon. We weren't expecting to go to another country on this trip so I need to download some new translation/phrasebook apps for speaking Korean.

SussexWorldtraveller, I will sed you a PM now :)

5. Re: Urgent help please: Tokyo to Seoul

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 October 2014, 06:36