We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

Stockport
Level Contributor
320 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

Just got back from GBP - Akumal yesterday & thought I better warn Thomson travellers booking seats on the Thomson Dreanliner, if you want a window seat - DO NOT BOOK ROW 37 it is a plastic wall & completely ruined my experience of this plane, it was like sitting in the back of a transit van with a portable Dvd player!

I would also advise that you do book seats together as all the complaints in the resort I overheard with the Rep were how couples were split up travelling out & were having to pay extra for the return journey.

Now starts the complaint to Thomson to try & get a refund back for that seat as their was no warning on the seating plan!

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,649 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

Hi,

"Now starts the complaint to Thomson to try & get a refund back for that seat as their was no warning on the seating plan"

==>. Just out of curiously, what is your basis for a refund? I say this only because in my opinion and experience, it is uncommon for a carrier to refund optional seat assignment fees or fees for "plus" type seatss - due wholly to window or other view obstruction claim..

What does their contract say on the matter?

Travel safe,

Kiama, Australia
Level Contributor
2,987 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

There are 2 points you raise.

1. Row 37 is a blank wall and you are going to contact Thomson to get a refund.

- Well, if you look at seatguru.com (as experienced travellers do) it is clearly labelled as a non window seat. It is not a secret plot to annoy you.

2. Advising travellers to book seats together

- Again, a well known issue with most airlines. You need to book seats before you fly (and even then, it is up to the airline whether to honor your selection).

you seem to have a decent amount of experience on Tripadvisor, so both of these should have been clear to you before you travelled.

Lancashire, United...
Destination Expert
for Playa Blanca
Level Contributor
36,073 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

Plenty of threads on this forum, and others on TA, mentioning that row 37 doesn't have a window. Neither does row 7 in premium. Pity you didn't do some research first.

A window seat doesn't mean you will always get a window, just that you are sat on the seat nearest the outside of the aircraft. You paid to reserve seats together, and got to choose your seat numbers for free. You were sat together, and you chose row 37, so on what basis are you requesting a refund.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,711 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g499445-i9177-k691…

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
5,443 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

Choice of airplane seating is never guaranteed. There can always be a last minute change of equipment which may necessitate shuffling people around. The airline will do their best to honor your seating request (which is really all it is - a request) but there is no way to absolutely guarantee it.

However in this case it appears that they did honor your specific seating request, so I am wondering what is the exact basis for your refund demand?

-JimG

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
307 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

"I would also advise that you do book seats together as all the complaints in the resort I overheard with the Rep were how couples were split up travelling out & were having to pay extra for the return journey."

They didnt book seating together, they made that choice. they gambled they lost. Tough luck on them, they should have just paid in the first place.

Edited: 14 October 2013, 16:44
Kent
Level Contributor
6,535 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

bring back the good old days of getting to the airport early and getting your seats then, we never got split then, and we had the kids too but now get split, not that i;m bothered as i have the next 2 weeks with him!! got split last time to mexico and prob will this time too, never mind, as long as i get a seat i'm ok

8. Re: Warning for booking seats on the Dreamliner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 October 2014, 06:20