We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

Hi sorry - yet another LAX transit question! I've just scored a truly cheap flight from Air Tahiti NZ-LAX return with a stop-over in PPT. It was so cheap it was worth grabbing. However we actually going to Philadelphia (or NYC if it's cheaper). So I now need to book this sector myself. Obviously this will be a separate ticket and the risk of a missed connection is with me.

Tahihi Nui recommend 3 hours for intl-domestic at LAX. My questions are:

* does it matter which airline I book with for the US internal legs - are there some terminals closer to international than others? Or do I just go for the cheapest option.

* I'll have travel insurance IF I book a connection at least 3 hours after our due arrival and something still goes wrong and we miss the connection - will they pay our actual and reasonable expenses and consequent re-booking of flights at higher prices? What sort of documentation should I attempt to get in that circumstances?

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,846 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

Coming off an International flight, you might want to consider Southwest Airlines. They do allow for free checked baggage and if you book early, have some great fares. You will need to book on their website as they do not participate in the GDS system. Check their website for their policies and pricing.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

Awesome - thank you for the recommendation vegas-guide We won't have checked luggage but I've heard good stuff about sW - I didn't know they weren't part of the usual consolidator sites.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

Southwest's terminal (T1) is as far as you can get from the Tom Bradley International Terminal and still be within LAX. In addition, I've never been past Southwest's doors when the queue wasn't out to the street, but maybe that's just coincidence.

Terminals 3 and 4 are adjacent to TBIT. American Airlines flies out of T4 and Virgin America out of T3. Both offer nonstop flights to New York, Virgin America also offers nonstops to Philly. Not knowing your dates it's impossible to speak to fares, but for an arbitrary 2-week period in January, both offered nonstop returns from LAX to either JFK or PHL for around US$350. If you don't mind changing planes somewhere, you can get that down to under $300. For the record, for the same days I looked, Southwest's prices were $20 - $40 higher, all with one stop to PHL.

I would allow AT LEAST three hours, maybe more (definitely more if using Southwest.) As to whether your insurance would cover any missed flights, that's entirely up to the specific, small-print language in the insurance policy. They are NOT all the same.

Wellington, New...
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

We arrive LAX 22 April arriving 11am ish. I'm now wondering about booking a red eye - Delta has a number leaving around 11pm and getting to Philly the next morning - dirt cheap $160 o/w Dlelta seems to be the main airline with evening flights - 12 hours in LAX is hardly desirable but surely even US customs should have got us into the country by then :-)

WE want to come back out from NYC on the 7 Jun to connect to a 15:30 flight ex LAX

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
6,231 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

The problem is that with the 3-hour time difference between the west and east coasts, flights leaving the west coast after noon arrive in the late evening on the east coast, so the majority of those flights depart LAX in the morning hours. By arriving at 11 AM and then going through immigration and customs, you're unable to catch an ongoing flight early enough to avoid a very late arrival in NYC or Philly.

So the red-eye is one way to handle it; another is to book into a cheap hotel near LAX and catch an early flight the following day.

Returning from NYC simply means you'd be purchasing an open-jaw ticket, LAX-PHL//NYC-LAX. This is easy using any online booking service or the airlines themselves.

Edited: 16 October 2013, 02:09
6. Re: LAX Transit to US Domestic from Air Tahiti Nui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2014, 06:18