We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

Hi folks,

This is my first post on this forum so hello everyone.

I'm trying to determine the best route to take from my home city of Perth, Western Australia to Tokyo Japan.

I understand that direct flights are not available, so I will need to stop at a hub and change to a connecting flight.

I'm wondering what is the preferred hub and route I should undertake?

1. Perth > Singapore > Tokyo

2. Perth > Kuala Lumpur (KLIA) > Tokyo

3. Perth > Hong Kong > Tokyo

Are there other routes that i have not considered?

Cheers

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

I've flown PER-SIN-NRT, and I've flown the other two but ex SYD, but they were full stop overs so it's not the same.

Of the three you've listed, transiting at SIN is the easiest. But I would give more consideration to price, availability and airline, more so than ease of transit.

Edited: 18 October 2013, 02:53
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
9,876 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

I think the only other stop over is Sydney ... which is a Qantas flight. Not a lot of difference really, comes down to total time and cost unless you decide you want a longer stopover then I would choose Hong Kong.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

Virgin through Sinapore or Thai through Bangkok are also options.

Looks like Cathay Pacific might be the best in timing, price and product. Try looking at skyscanner.com.au to see what options might suit you.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

I agree with able about the longer stopover. If you're taking a couple days out to 'discover' the city, Hong Kong would also be my choice.

Perth, Australia
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

I did Perth < Sin < Tokyo as a 16 yr old exchange student. Very easy and Changi is a good transit airport if you're going to spend any time waiting for your onward flight. As well as price, availability etc work out arrival time in Tokyo as you don't want to be wrassling with suitcases in peak or having to hang around with luggage 'cause you can;t get into your hotel/hostel Of the 28 countries i've been to, Japan was the most 'foreign' (i spent my time down in Kagoshima) - have fun!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

>>>as you don't want to be wrassling with suitcases in peak or having to hang around with luggage 'cause you can;t get into your hotel/hostel<<<

Did you experience this at NRT?

It's an unusual statement because with their designated train and Airport Limousine Bus services, there's very little chance you can't get to your hotel. With the option of train, bus, bus/taxi, for an airport of this distance from the city, it's a very accessible and transport friendly.

>>>Of the 28 countries i've been to, Japan was the most 'foreign'<<<

That's a bit subjective. Are you referring to the country in general or based on your experience at the airport?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

Wow! thank you all for the wonderful responses.

I should have prefaced that my travel to Tokyo is planned for either the last week of Oct 2014 or first week Nov 2014. With a total stay in Japan of two weeks.

My first concern is how best to get there from Perth and you have provided me with valuable insight which i had previously not considered, so thank you all.

A cross country flight with a Sydney departure, or a stopover in Bangkok I had not considered - thank you HK71

Arrival city - Tokyo is preferred as I plan to meet up with friends.

I am told Haneda airport is easiest to navigate and to travel back to the city from.

I plan to fly on a budget so pricing of tickets is something i'm keen to save on and so I remain flexible as to which airport I arrive at.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
24,267 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

I'd say Haneda is an easy airport to transit but not necessarily easier to navigate than Narita. All the signage is very straight forward at both airports, and equally very efficient.

If your dates are flexible, the closer you go to mid winter is nicer IMO, less crowded and cleaner air.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,764 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

You might want to consider flying in to Tokyo and back out from another city (to save some back tracking).

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,382 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Route - Perth (Aust) to Tokyo (JPN)

Haneda is considerably closer to central Tokyo than NRT. Flight times might be strange though flying to/from HND so you need to take that into consideration.