We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual citizenship and API

Athlone, Ireland
3 posts
Save Topic
Dual citizenship and API

I am travelling to the States with my boyfriend next week and I booked his ticket with his Irish passport but when I was adding the advanced passenger information with Aer Lingus I had to use his US passport details - does anyone know is this going to cause problems travelling?

Thanks

Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
12,577 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual citizenship and API

Of course it won't cause problems. Thousands of people have dual citizenship, and at any one time they use whichever passport is more convenient if it avoids the need for a visa, or if it means a cheaper visa. Most countries demand that you enter and leave that country on that country's passport, but beyond that, you can use whichever passport you like, switching in midair.

I have dual UK and Israeli citizenship. I must leave and enter Israel on my Israeli passport. Visiting the UK (or any EU country) it is obviously easier to enter on my British passport. If (hypothetical) Country A demands a visa in advance for Israeli citizens but not for EU citizens, I would obviously enter Country A on my British passport. And if Country B is more accommodating to Israelis than to EU citizens, I would enter Country B on my Israeli passport. This is something that is totally routine and causes no problems at all. Your boyfriend might be asked to show his other passport with the details supplied to the airline, but that's all.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,048 posts
662 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dual citizenship and API

It is mandatory that you provide passport information. However, If your BF has a US passport, you should stick to it. NO need to apply ESTA for him. If you have an Irish passport, you need to do so.

3. Re: Dual citizenship and API

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2014, 05:18