We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 11:12
London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

Do you mean check in online?

A printout of your e-ticket should be fine.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

United are responsible to US Immigration that you are eligible to travel.

As you are (presumably) travelling home with a different airline they have no proof from their own records that you have the return/onward ticket that the US authorities require.

Therefore they need to see it before they let you board

Your e-mail printout should be sufficient evidence

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

Lots of people try to get into countries to live and work illegally without going through the proper channels, Proof of onward/return travel shows your intent to leave the country. Without it the US would just send you straight back home at the cost of the airline.. The UK do the same

4. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2015, 11:12
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
84,646 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

As said before, the e-ticket is sufficient proof. Have a printout of it with you.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,658 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

Not every Canadian citizen who flies to the USA from Canada needs to provide proof of a return flight. Some drive back.

For example, a coworker of mine takes a plane from Toronto to Florida every April, and then drives his parents back in their car (which is domiciled in Florida for the winter). He may get asked questions by US immigration at Toronto Aiport, but not by the airline

Never been an issue for Canadians since they can drive (or even walk) across the border back to Canada if need be.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 02:18
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

I got te same message last week when I flew from Hong Kong to Saigon. The reasons was they needed to verify that I had a visa (which I did)

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

All countries have different requirements for different nationalities...if you travel on the assumption what is OK for country A applies to country B you could be in for nasty surprise.

Bingley, United...
Destination Expert
for Edinburgh
Level Contributor
32,077 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

HOW are you leaving the US - that is important as to whether you need a visa or not.

< Other than my e-ticket I don't have any proof that Ill be returning. >

So you don't have a job, own property, have a British bank account, have family....

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,882 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: You must present proof of a return ticket or onward travel

United does checks at check in for entry clearance, and in some cases doesn't allow OLCI. I have the same thing when I travel to China and India as a visa is required and the check in agent has to verify the visa.

I've also had the same thing happen traveling to Thailand when my return ticket was outside the 30 day tourist visa exemption (by 2 days). In that case, I simply showed the check in agent a print out of the e-ticket receipt for an onward flight from Bangkok to Delhi with another airline (Jet) within the limit and all was good.

I would expect that the ticket receipt for the return flight to London will be fine, provided it is within the 90 day visa waiver permitted stay. In that case by definition you will leave the US to head to Toronto to return home before the 90 days is up. However, IF your return flight is LATER than "entry plus 90 days", there won't be proof that you intend to leave the US within the required timeframe, and you may need to purchase an air ticket out of the US within the said timeframe.

Good luck.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 07:12