We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gatwick Airport stopover advice

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Gatwick Airport stopover advice

Hi there, I am flying from Scotland into Gatwick then on to Egypt with my 7 year old son in December. Our out bound flights are fine as we have a full overnight stop so have booked into a hotel.

But I would like some advice about our homeward journey. We arrive into South Terminal at 01.50 and our Scotland flight is at 7am North Terminal.

I figure by the time we get off the plane and get our luggage it would be about 1.30am, we would be going through security at North Terminal about 6am, this leaves 4 and a half hours. It seems silly heading to a hotel for that long, is there a quiet room or can someone advise the best place my son can curl up to sleep while we wait? I did look at the lounges, but you need to pass through security to get to them and we have luggage to check in first and the desk wont be opened before 5am I imagine?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

Look up the yotel. You can book a room for 4 hours.

I also think you have your times somewhat off, If you arrive 150 baggage would be 230 not 130!

And you presumably also have to drop your bags again (otherwise why mention baggage?) in which case you should be doing that at 5 not 6. So that gives you more like 2.5 hours. I think I'd just find some bench chairs and lie him down on those.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

Hi there, sorry we arrive at 12.50 and we do have a bag, so 1.30am would be correct. if the bag drop is open 2hours before the flight then we have 3.5 hours before that to wait.

I was just wondering if a bench was the best idea as I recently flew through Belfast and the had a quiet room available to everyone.

Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

With a small child in tow I would DEFINATELY book into the yotel for those 3.5 hours it is on airport so easy to get to

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,128 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

You want to sleep in public with a young child?

The Yotel is well positioned, very cheap and not out of your way given the South>North terminal transit you have to do.

I've stayed there when I've been alone, the Hilton was £300 and I had a late night arrival with an early start the next morning and it works fine. I'd certainly recommend one of the premium ones if there are two of you. It's very cosy even for just me. Your son will probably find it to be quite a novelty! (I did and I'm 20yrs older than him!)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
19,450 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

Just a word of warning about timings of your incoming flight at LGW:

2 of our most recent 3 flights to Gatwick in 2013, scheduled to land +/- midnight have landed on time but then slowly ambled around the houses of the jetways to a remote parking stand, the plane clearly not being needed for a first thing in the morning flight, or all the airbridges being occupied. We've then needed to wait for some time on the plane for buses to deliver us to the terminal building with, again, nobody in any hurry. Then despite the slow progress, we've still had to wait for our bags.

Weirdly, landing at busier times of the day, we've got through all the mandatory processes at the LGW faster!

Yes, the Yotel is probably more cost effective for a short rest.

SWT

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

With a small child in tow I would DEFINATELY book into the yotel for those 3.5 hours it is on airport so easy to get to

----------

The small child will sleep anywhere. That's what they do.

But maybe the adult will need it to sleep though I'd want a loud alarm clock to be sure not to miss the second flight but it would certainly be more comfy and also remove worry about looking after bags when you nodded off. I wouldn't book it until I was there though, as said, flight might be late (last flights of day often are) and baggage often isn't as quick as you'd expect.

And how come practically no one on TA can spell "definitely" especially when they call it out in CAPITALS ? :-)

Edited: 21 October 2013, 19:41
7. Re: Gatwick Airport stopover advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2014, 05:17