We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

As Heathrow T5 is supposed to be a new state of the art airport terminal, could anyone involved in the planning, design, construction or any other professional field explain why no moving walk ways were installed. Even Palma airport Majorca have moving walk ways installed. Provision of Lifts is not the answer to solve the amount of walking you are expected to do around this horrendous place.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,779 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

If you arrive at a remote stand, then yeah, it can be a bit of a trek but I find there's generally little walking needed at T5 compared to other major airports. Nothing like Amsterdam or CDG or even smaller airports like Copenhagen.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,838 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

Terminal 5 isn't big at all.

If you're disabled & can't walk much, there are wheelchairs available

London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
21,009 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

I've always found less walking at T5, if anything but I've always found the departure lounge layout annoying.

Edited: 23 October 2013, 16:35
New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

There are moving walkways. They're just in the arrivals area of T5B.

Personally I find that there isn't much walking involved in Terminal 5 given the amount of gates it serves. I'd rather there be a moving walkway between the main T5 building and the satellites instead of the trains though.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

If you arrive at a remote stand, then yeah, it can be a bit of a trek

? Whenever I've arrived on a remote stand I've been bussed/driven by car directly from the aircraft to the escalators below the entrance to the UK Border. Never been any walking.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
12,779 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

Don't know what stand it was but we weren't bussed on my last longhaul arrival. We walked to a train that took us to arrivals. Felt like it was fairly long walk although we were also running low on time for our connection which might have contributed to the feeling.

Kent, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
7,479 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

once had an early morning arrival at a C gate

train shuttle was not working

had to walk underground to arrivals

I felt most unwell -not a joke

we are not all fit and young .......

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,066 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

Don't know what stand it was but we weren't bussed on my last longhaul arrival. We walked to a train that took us to arrivals

A remote stand is one that is not connected to the terminal building by a jetbridge. By the sounds of it you just arrived at either T5B or T5C.

T5B is larger than T5C and has moving walkways in the arrivals portion, whereas T5C doesn't have any moving walkways.

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
2 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

Thank you for understanding. It was our first arrival into T5, we were so tired that I don't think we knew which part we had arrived at! At least the transit train was up and running. We are reasonably fit and healthy but felt ill by the time we eventually caught the Heathrow Express on leaving T5. We found the whole arrival process experience into T5 exhausting.

California
Level Contributor
5 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heathrow Terminal 5, too much walking

British Airways T5 at Heathrow can be a real challenge for a handicapped person that is connecting from one international flight to another. Even with assistance to connect from Rome to a San Francisco Flight took over 45 minutes with the golf cart having to go into two elevators and two long trips underground. Go through full security again after clearing security at Rome. Having to throw away our water bottles, unpack our carry on items (ipad and toiletries) and strip down by removing belts, shoes etc. Get groped by security because of replacement knee and shoulder since they don't have modern machines. In short if you are handicapped do not connect at T5 at Heathrow.