We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
293 reviews
Save Topic
EK upgrades using Skywards miles

We are planning to purchase business class tickets and it seems prices have increased quite a bit since our last trip. However, we have enough miles to upgrade the Mel-DXB (or reverse) leg of the trip. My understanding is that we must book economy and then try to use the miles to upgrade. Is this risky? Is there a chance we may not be able to upgrade?

I will phone EK for advice, but some feedback from those with first hand experience at this would be most welcome. This is the 1st time we have had enough miles to use.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

There are classes of Economy fares which are not upgradeable immediately (only upgradeable during a short window before departure), but this should be indicated when you book. Make sure you contact Emirates for advice before you book. We did not have any problem in upgrading our reverse leg last year, had to contact their office on the phone to do that, since the points come off our individual Skywards memberships.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,256 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

I've only had a problem once and that was because bc was full. I was gold so did try and do it at airport. Never had a prob doing it though just after I booked tickets. Reason I waited til the airport was I used to her a lot of free upgrades. So took the risk to upgrade after I checked in and for my boarding pass

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Thanks to you both. I will ring EK before we try to book, just to check the availablility of upgrades. The tricky bit is that we only have enough miles for the Mel-DXB or DXB-Mel bit, not for the entire journey to Europe.

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
10,382 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

You upgrade per segment, so it does not matter how many segments you would like to upgrade.

As stated above, if you have a saver ticket, you cannot upgrade (only 24 hours before flight). Upgrade restrictions are shown when you book.

Upgrade depends on seat availability (quota). Also your frequent flyer status has an impact.

You can also book via phone with EK. You will pay a small fee, but then the agent maybe able to upgrade you directly.

Please be aware that if you do an upgrade with miles, you will lose the upgrade when you change dates.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,623 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Lots of detailed comment here on upgrades

flyertalk.com/forum/emirates-skywards-490/

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

my sister was offered BC upgrades twice... on outbound and inbound sectors with EK. Not with her miles but cash payment. As it was the shorter of the sectors she declined. These were offered two days before the flight

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
2,041 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

I upgraded an AU to Europe flight last year well in advance of travel using miles but I notice that this year Emirates are advertising all the flights (out of Perth anyway) as only upgradeable at check-in.

I 'm guessing they got burnt last year with having to turn full fare paying business class travellers away because economy upgraders got all the seats. :)

So, yes, it will be a gamble.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

Thanks everyone for your responses.

jslonisch, the flight from Melb is showing as upgradeable only at check-in , but the return is not, so i will try to book the outgoing as business class and the return as economy and then try to upgrade.

Dubai_Phil_64, I will phone EK and see how we go. Happy to pay a small fee if it all gets done.

jagjetfly, 2 days prior is cutting it way too fine. I'm hoping to use the miles to offset the price increase.

Thanks again everyone.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
10,749 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

"DubaiPhil_64, I will phone EK and see how we go. Happy to pay a small fee if it all gets done"

Perhaps it is a one off situation, but I did not have to pay any fees when I upgraded my tickets. Also, I was considering changing the date of my return whilst I was in Bergen in 2012, and other than the usual date change fee, the EK office was able to find another date on the business class with no additional fees for both of us.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,354 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: EK upgrades using Skywards miles

I've managed to upgrade several times on saver tickets in advance - never once come up against a 24 hours restriction?

I've also done it by phone as to upgrade both of us we use our own miles and online it does it on just one account - and never had to pay a fee.

You have to keep checking online every day to see if your flight can be upgraded with miles - somedays no availabilty, others yes.