We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

Colchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

United Airlines lost my baggage for 3 days. I arrived at my destination on 01/08/13 they delivered my baggage on 03/08/13. They have offered me a voucher as compensation and I don't feel that is adequate for the fact that I did not have any change of clothing or my medication which was in my baggage for 3 days!

Can I insist of cash?

Does anyone know for sure, also, does the Montreal convention cover thbis

NYC/Israel
Destination Expert
for Israel
Level Contributor
37,584 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

Liquid medications are an exception to the no liquid view. They need to be in the original labeled containers and many suggest a MD note to back this up. They also do not need to be in your plastic bag.

12. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 12:13
Edmonton
Level Contributor
8,300 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

I've sold travel insurance for a lot of years and none of them have a deductible to claim.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,880 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

I suppose it differs in different parts of the world. Whenever I've bought travel insurance, the default has been for an excess of $100, but I had the option to increase the premium and have no excess. I've always paid the increased premium (but, thankfully, I've never yet had to claim - my sister has though when she lost her passport in London. Her insurance covered her for the lot and that insurance was complimentary via her credit card).

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,894 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

ratpack,

"I arrived at my destination on 01/08/13 they delivered my baggage on 03/08/13." ......

Firstly, that's a delay of two days, not three. And as others have mentioned, you should pack medications (absolutely) and a change of clothes (I pack two) in your carry on in case checked baggage goes on detour.

As to the voucher, I doubt that's compensation, but a gesture of goodwill. I think such gestures are fair, as long as they're given in a form you can use. If you don't have plans to fly in the near future (either anywhere or more importantly where United flies) then I think you should be able to ask for a form of payment that you could use elsewhere. Not necessarily cash, but say miles that can be redeemed through online shopping or a similar gift voucher.

Vouchers towards future flights are the preferred form if these gestures as they "lock" you in to using the airline again (we'll give you a way of saving money next time as long as you use us). But if you ask politely you may get some other form of recompense that still demonstrates the goodwill.

And, btw, lost or delayed luggage is in the big picture a very rare occurance. I travel an awful lot, and it happens to me on average about once every 5 years (or once every 300 flights). So I wouldn't be unduly worried about it happening again on UA or any airline. Just pack the change of clothes and carry your meds in your carry on so you're in better shape if it happens again.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,343 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

marie you have sold insurance in the UK? I can assure you that policies here often have a deductible. I am in the pprocess of claiming on mine. £50 deductible. And it's a very good policy.

Romford, United...
Level Contributor
2,065 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

My UK issued worldwide travel policy does not have any excess on any sections because I opted to pay a small additional premium to waive them

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

Yes, a deductible is very common in the uk, depends on the policy.

To be fair though, I don't think buying a change of clothes, especially if on a business trip is unreasonable, maybe even some make up/ toiletries if required. I certainly would not want to go to meetings in my travel attire for two or three days. However it all depends on the insurance policy and it needs to be clarified prior to any spending with the insurer as to what is reasonable and allowed And then what the individual is willing to fund themselves.

For example 200 gbp on a pair of trousers would seem normal and reasonable to some people and not to others. Just as 30 gbp would seem normal and reasonable to some people for a pair of trousers, but something others would not think so, depends on what you are used to I guess.

However either way, I would agree the voucher is a good will gesture and not compensation.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,048 posts
351 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

I've had to claim twice on my AA insurance for delayed baggage and I've not had anything deducted and claim paid in full both times for what I have claimed for (£110 first time and £168 recently).

While we learned to carry spare clothing in our hand luggage after the first time we got caught with our luggage not arriving, what caught us out this year was an impromptu day in Dubai after missing our connection flight and due to the heat/humidity there having to change clothes when we weren't planning to.

Wearing the same clothes for 3 days (especially after 2 night flights on the bounce) wasn't fun I can tell you!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Do I have to accept an airline voucher for compensation?

Ehrm ,,,lots of shops in Dubai,,gotta ask, why did you not go pick something up to change into? That's a long time to wear the same clothes after two night flights,,,,Eugh, sorry,