We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad deal Opodo

Manchester, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Bad deal Opodo

On the 24 October 2013 I was looking for cheap flights on Skyscanner as that is where I have booked my flights from previously. Opodo came up as £66 for a return ticket so I went back and added another passenger however the total cost did not equate to £132 so my husband and I decided to book our own tickets at the exact same time on separate computers using separate debit cards. Within minutes we received our confirmation emails (with same email timestamp) saying our flights had been requested then at the same time we received another email, my husband's containing his outgoing ticket and return ticket, however mine only containing my outgoing ticket and no return ticket.

The next day I phoned Opodo on their premium rate number and was put on hold for an hour to be told they had only taken £22 for my outgoing ticket as my request for the return ticket had been declined they informed me I could make a new booking but the return ticket was now £143 and that in their small print before you book it says they book your tickets separately incase ticket prices increase which customer is liable for! Even so why didn't they cancel my outgoing ticket as on its own it is no good and why isn't my husband in the same situation?

So basically I am stuck having to pay the higher return fare as my husband has not had any of his tickets cancelled. Is there any way out of this to get my money back? Not only am I money down but I have recently read so many bad things about Opodo such as them not actually booking you on a flight, to taking more money out of your account! I assumed Opodo were a reputable company but surely they cannot con people like this and remain a big company? Has anyone ever managed to be successful in fighting their shady business practises? I read that one person on here was taking them to court how did they get on?

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad deal Opodo

Airlines only have a certain number of seats at specific prices...hence your husband bought the last one available and you missed out.

Opodo to their credit have now given you the option to purchase the more expensive return rather than just sell it to you like some sites. But I do tend to agree the booking should have returned an error stating price no longer available and let you decide whether you still wanted to buy the outbound or not.

Airline sites should hold the ticket as soon as you select the price so no others can come in whilst you are going through the booking process. If programmed correctly they immediately jump to the next available price. i.e your hubby would have received one price and you would have received a different price.

Others will quote you should have read the T & C's but that's a bit useless and tells you nothing.

All you can do is ask for a refund of the outbound as you were buying a "packaged return ticket" not a "single sector ticket" which is all they gave you.

Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
3,380 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad deal Opodo

Julies

There is always a chance that this can happen when you book through a third party website (just look on here). You have compounded the situation by doing two separate bookings.

Sadly for you you're likely going to have to book at the higher fare.

An expensive lesson I'm sure. Next time book together and through the airlines website.

Regards

Jim

3. Re: Bad deal Opodo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 28 October 2013, 00:17
UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad deal Opodo

Even so why didn't they cancel my outgoing ticket as on its own it is no good

=====

Because:

1. They dont care, and

2. You can buy a single coming back to make it a return so its not "useless" ts just not at a price you like. Assuming you are buying with an LCC like easyjet or similar, they dont really sell returns as such anyway, its more like two separate singles.

I suggest you suck it up* and learn a lesson, that just buying only on price and without doing any research why you buy from, is not a risk free operation.

You could I suppose, contact your bank and ask for a refund, but I've read of similar cases being reversed after an initial refund, because the third party showed the "small print" (that actually isn't small, its just that you didn't bother to read it) backed up what they said, eg you agreed you woudl buy a single if a return wasn't at an acceptable price. Pretty sneaky, presumably they would argue that in these days of LCC's selling single flights its perfectly normal. And they of course don't know there are two of you travelling, after all you only bought for one person.

As for "why didn't this happen to your husband" well it seems that there really was just the one ticket left at the low that price hence you discovering that two tickets cost more than two times one. When you booked twp separately this is another chance you took, and it didn't pay off.

Finally you say "surely they cannot con people like this and remain a big company" but it didn't prevent you purchasing because you didn't look beyond low headline price, so if there is a constant supply of people who behave as you did, perhaps they can.

* because the hassle, cost, odds of winning dont make it worthwhile.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad deal Opodo

small print before you book it says they book your tickets separately incase ticket prices increase which customer is liable for! >>>>

didn't see that bit...Pity it isn't Australia as these shady practices are not allowed.

Truro, Canada
Level Contributor
234 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad deal Opodo

Will Opodo give you your money back for the return flight that they could not book? - because then maybe you could go directly to the airline site and see what they are charging for that single return ticket.

7. Re: Bad deal Opodo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2014, 04:15