We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Etihad airways question...

Glasgow
Level Contributor
688 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Etihad airways question...

Hi there

I am travelling to Abu Dhabi soon with etihad & will be my partners birthday on board when we travel, would anyone know of anything I can arrange for on board perhaps a cake or birthday surprise? He doesn't like champagne which is a bummer as I love it ha but I just wondered if anyone had ever heard of this type of thing while travelling? I will call etihad in the morning to check also but was hoping someone here would have had a similar request/experience? I also do not expect this for free, I am aware I will pay for the services!

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Etihad airways question...

Not seen it, if you think about it on most flights there are probably quite a few people whose birthday / wedding anniversary / honeymoon/ wedding/ other significant date it is and the crew are busy enough as it is without running around handing out a variety of different surprsies.

Why not take a small cake on board yourself or something else that would be a surprise ? There is no reason you cannot.

Edited: 28 October 2013, 23:26
Glasgow
Level Contributor
688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Etihad airways question...

Hi joe,

Thanks for that. Yeah I thought of doing that but he is the biggest snoop haha! Can't believe I'm asking this for the amount of times/places I have travelled but would I have to take it out of my bag through security? If I could get away with not taking it out then that then I could be a plan!

Yeah I get that too, I just wondered if it was something they did. I have never seen it myself to be fair but thought they might provide it at an extra cost!

Thanks again :)

Edited: 28 October 2013, 23:34
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Etihad airways question...

but would I have to take it out of my bag through security?

=======

You might, depends if they want to search your bag or not, which is a fairly random thing. It could be as small as a large cupcake with some elaborate icing on. They may also sell stuff like that in the airport air side so no security issues then, depends very much which airport and terminal in that case.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
54,599 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Etihad airways question...

I've gone thorugh Security at Heathrow with uniced cakes in my hand baggage; whether in the bag or out they've not been made comment of by the staff at the checkpoint. GLA may be a different matter, but all you can do is try.

M&S make cutting bar wedding cakes, admittedly not what you have in mind but they're a reasonable size, and if you ask nicely Marks might be able to personalise the bar for you. Find a way to distract Mr Snoop when going through Security then have a word with crew on board after meal service to ask if they could provide you with plates and forks after the trays have been cleared.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Etihad airways question...

then have a word with crew on board after meal service to ask if they could provide you with plates and forks after the trays have been cleared.

--------------

Bring a couple of paper or plastic plates and plastic forks,then it's all under your control.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Etihad airways question...

Perhaps you could give him a special birthday present during the flight.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Etihad airways question...

"Perhaps you could give him a special birthday present during the flight."

That just sounds wrong ! lol

Deb

Glasgow
Level Contributor
688 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Etihad airways question...

Great advice from everyone here thank you!

I think I will go with 2 cupcakes & think of an alternative to a candle! Or I'm sure I recently seen a tiny iced Victoria sponge I could pop in my bag unnoticed!

Samd lol! I think I will stick with the cake for this one... Although it is a rather long flight.....:P

Thanks again everyone, I'll keep u posted on how I got on!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Etihad airways question...

A tie-pin or cufflinks (whatever they are). What else would I mean ?

10. Re: Etihad airways question...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 October 2014, 05:19