We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Austrian Airlines (Lufthansa)

Bellville, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
Austrian Airlines (Lufthansa)

I recently completed a series of flights that carried me around the world. As an avid underwater photographer I expect to pay extra for my Pelican case, which contains all of my camera equipment. The usual overweight fee with most airlines is $60, more or less, and my case never weighs more than 70 lbs.

When I checked in for a one-way flight from Vienna to Frankfurt and continuing on to Thailand via Singapore the Austrian Airlines agent advise me that it would cost 1,335 Euros (about $1,838) "if they agreed to accept it" as luggage. I was expecting to pay 100 Euros according to their website information, which I had checked in advance of booking my ticket. Does this seem normal to anyone else? Has anyone ever had this experience and, if so, how was it resolved?

Banbury
Level Contributor
521 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Austrian Airlines (Lufthansa)

<<I was expecting to pay 100 Euros according to their website information>>

Not sure where you got that from, what I can see if it was a second piece of luggage not exceeding 32KG it would have been 450 EUR, but it looks like you paid the 40 EUR per KG charge for 33.375KG of excess luggage?

Bellville, Texas
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Austrian Airlines (Lufthansa)

Yes, 40 Euros per KG. I've got a call into them now, but sorting through their website indicates that this rate applies to travel from Austria to Zone 5, which is the 'rest of Asia'. Also, looking at the fine print on my ticket shows my allowance was only 20 KG after all and I had two pieces of checked luggage: one 22 KG and the other, my camera case, was 31 KG hence the 33 KG charge. My mistake for assuming that standard fees would apply. Won't do it again.

3. Re: Austrian Airlines (Lufthansa)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 November 2014, 04:17