We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Hi all,

I read this in the paper this morning, wonder if it will be implemented or if it's another of MOL's PR stunts.

independent.ie/business/irish/ryanair-slashe…

united kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

<,All passengers who don’t wish to pay a small fee (€5) to select their preferred seats will be allocated seats during the 24 HOURS prior to the date of scheduled departure>>

If they are only going to allocate 24 hours before,how do you get your seat number if you have booked in online and printed your boarding pass say two days before?

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
38,932 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Good point.

Norfolk England
Level Contributor
5,825 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Hi

Perhaps if you have bought a seat number, you can print boarding pass, if not, you have to wait till 24 hours.

Clive

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

I very much doubt that since they require people to print boarding passes in advance. More likely the press release was poorly formulated and they will follow easyJet and Jet2 in allocating a seat at the time of check-in if one hasn't been paid for.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Or, more likely if you do OLCI that automatically assigns you a seat number if you haven't chosen one. That would also give them another chance to try to sell you an allocated seat.

Anyone know what happens with Easyjet ? Same situation.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 13:15
united kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

<<Perhaps if you have bought a seat number, you can print boarding pass, if not, you have to wait till 24 hours.>>

That was what I was thinking, which would put online check in from fifteen days to one day if you did not buy a reserved seat.

Who said MOL was daft :)

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

"Anyone know what happens with Easyjet ? Same situation."

I'm pretty sure you can't change your allocated seat after check-in (and you won't know what seat you are allocated until you check-in).

Edit: Just checked and you can pay at the airport for a seat in a higher price category only than the one you are allocated in. So what I said above isn't quite correct.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 13:24
united kingdom
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
18. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

Just seen the interview with MOL on Sky, he said if you do not pay for a reserved seat, you will be allocated a seat 24 hours before departure.

So I doubt you will be able to check in earlier than 24 hours if you have not paid up.

It seems they are not following easyjet by giving a seat allocation when you check in on line

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,902 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

"So I doubt you will be able to check in earlier than 24 hours if you have not paid up. "

We'll see but that sounds highly unlikely to me and a recipe for disaster. Alternatively they have come up with a way to delegate seats after people have checked in.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Seminyak, Ubud, Bali, Dublin
Level Contributor
7,033 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ryanair returns to allocated seats for all

One way could be to give you a seat number when you drop your bags.

Granted all traveler with only cabin bags will not know their seat numbers...

So 24h checkin only for all who have not paid to get either a premium seat or the seat(s) of their choice.