We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
easyjet complaints against disability email address?

hi all.

I am flying to sharm el sheikh with easyjet at the end of November. I have checked in and done all the relevant bits and pieces.

I suffer with a few medical conditions that means I need to have extra legroom while on a flight to reduce pain and swelling etc. I do not need a wheelchair or any assistance in the airport from easyjet staff, as I will have all the help I need from my partner, so I do not want to use the services of the special assistance team as I shouldn't have too just to get extra legroom however I am registered disabled and feel as though my medical needs should be treated the same way as a wheelchair user. I was told that because I am not in a wheelchair and because I need no airport assistance, I am not entitled to the same treatment as a customer who would require complete assistance while on board, and throughout the airport. so... ive had to pay for the extra legroom, (i'm really not trying to get something for nothing), but should I have really had too? wheelchair users have this free of charge, so it begs the question as to why this should have been different for me? the medical requirements are the same, and I am willing to provide as much evidence and reports from numerous consultants to prove that I have the need for extra legroom. I find this somewhat discriminative, just because I don't want someone pushing me around the airport in a wheelchair.

does anyone know who I would raise this issue with via email (just so there is a written record of the point I am trying to get across. I don't want to have to explain the whole thing a million times over the phone)

i'd like to know the easyjet policy on what they class as disabled, and they should definitely know that disability is not to be defined by a wheelchair.

I reckon I should be refunded, but seem to be going round in circles as to who I should contact so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

thanks in advance,

sophie x

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
26,140 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Hi,

I think that whilst it may constitute poor understanding, misunderstanding, and possibly taken as poor service, but personally, I wouldn't be heading down the path of discrimination. I don't think that is their intent, and within the boundaries of their CoC.

I could be wrong, but one thing for sure, I wouldn't be using the term discrimination lightly.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 12:35
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Best of luck with that Sophie. My sister in law is in a wheelchair full time (she has MS) and when travelling on Thomson or Thomas Cook flights hardly ever get put into extra legroom seats. On one Thomson flight back to Cardiff we were in row 34 almost at the back of the plane. I guess it's because most of the extra legroom seats are at emergency exits or at bulkheads which are often reserved for mothers with babies.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Have you talked to the Special Assistance Team? EasyJet's policy is to allocate seats suitable to the disability free-of-charge. It should not be a requirement that you book wheelchair assistance however you will still need to go through them.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
9,001 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Did you follow this when booking?

http://support.easyjet.com/faq/en/request.do?view()=c%7B3c9e5250-ced9-11e2-ef6e-000000000000%7D

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

i'm really not going down the path of discrimination, what I am trying to get to the bottom of is why they offer a complimentary service to wheelchair users that need assistance throughout the airport (which actually costs them money in paying staff at the end of the day), but for a non wheelchair user who is still disabled, was denied the use of such services on the grounds of not being a wheelchair user. the medical need is for space on board, nowhere else.

thanks for your reply whitcop, I have MS too (amongst other things), and its my legs that are badly affected by flying. this is why I've already paid for the seats as they'd have been booked up quickly. at least now I know l have them, i'm just baffled by their policy

x

Carmarthen, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

yes, spoke to the special assistance team, it was them who told me that I wasn't entitled to it purely because I don't need assistance around the airport and to contact customer services who confirmed this

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Whilst I do sympathise Sophie, I think there are conflicting interests - yours and Easyjet. I often fly easyjet as far as I am aware all the extra-legroom seats are on "Emergency Exit rows". From the airlines point of view and included in their terms and conditions, is the condition that anyone sitting in emergency exit row seats must be able bodied and prepared to assist in opening the emergency exits in the event (extremely unlikely though it is) of an emergency requiring quick evacuation of the plane. For this reason I am surprised that you have even been able to book (and pay for) an extra leg-room seat bearing in mind that you are unfortunately registered disabled.

I have doubts whether you will even be allowed to sit in an emergency exit row for this reason. I would contact Easyjet to try and discuss your situation but bear in mind that, in my opinion, there is nothing discriminatory in Easyjet's actions it is simply safety rules and regulations.

Other airlines, using different planes/seat configuration may well have seats with extra leg-room which are not bound by these regulations.

I would say that speaking as a 6 foot tall guy with long legs that I find Easyjet seat pitch is one of the better ones. I can sit quite comfortably in their seats but others like Thomson/Thos cook etc are extremely tight leg-room wise.

Perhaps your best bet would be to book an aisle seat so you could easily get up to exercise your legs during the flight.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
14,462 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

"I often fly easyjet as far as I am aware all the extra-legroom seats are on "Emergency Exit rows"."

1D-F have extra legroom and are not exit row seats I believe.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,206 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

Sophie, I think Lexexpress is correct. If your reserved seat is not 1D - 1F you wont be able to sit there as all the other extra leg room seats seem to be emergency exits. I think you need to speak to customer services again if your not in row 1. Please sort it out know so as not to spoil your holiday.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: easyjet complaints against disability email address?

I stand corrected, I have just been looking at the T & C's and realised that 1D & F are, I think, bulkhead seats. So yes, Lexexpress is quite correct, my apologies.

Are these the seats you have reserved Sophie ? Otherwise what I said earlier applies so bear it in mind when you approach Easyjet..