We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

virgin atlantic upper class

cheshire
Level Contributor
60 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
virgin atlantic upper class

I have booked to fly back from vegas to gatwick with virgin atlantic and was wondering if someone could give me their reviews as i have looked on google and no one seems to rate the food or the beds

35 replies to this topic
Wembley, United...
Level Contributor
1,481 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

Travelled in upper class for the first time in march ( have travelled other business classes but not virgin ), gatwick cancun and return.

Loved the gatwick clubhouse , I would reccomend you allow yourself a couple of hours to enjoy the facilities , food , drink and service were all top notch:)

Outward flight ( seat 9a) on a newly refurbed 747

Found the flight crew a bit standoffish but still efficient , the upper class cabin I loved - it felt very spacious even though every seat was taken but with only 14 seats it felt like an intimate club, the seat was very comfy and so easy to get in and out of to go to the loo etc( unlike BA), entertainment system was excellent , food on offer ( sorry can't remember what I had ) was tasty and well presented and I didn't go hungry !! ,

Outward bound was a day flight so didn't use the bed function outward but was very comfortable throughout the flight , however 2 things I disliked about the seat - 1) due to the design of the seat when you use the bed function it flips over so unlike most other flatbed seats you can't recline it into a 'lazy boy' style position to semi recline and relax to watch a film or snooze , it's seat or bed nothing in between. Although the backrest does recline slightly .

2) as the seats face into the centre of the cabin rather than forward it is very hard to see out of the window without cricking your neck

The onboard bar was a waste of time and space the only people using it were the flight crew using it to rest plates and cups etc whilst serving people at their seats.

Return flight which was a night flight , so a chance to try out the bed - the flight crew offered to set the bed up for me when I was ready but in actual fact it was so easy that I just did it myself - you just stand up and press the appropriate button ( easy to work out which one to press)the seat flips over quickly and easily with the sheet already in place , quilt and pillow are in easy reach in the void between the seat and window and the supplied pyjamas were supprisingly soft and comfy, I managed to sleep about 4 hours which is good for me and found the bed very comfortable but again would have preferred if I could have raised the head end to watch a film whilst in bed but once in bed mode it is just flat ( apart from propping yourself up on a pillow)

The food on the return flight was excellent - again can't remember what it was but it was very enjoyable and by the time I had eaten the mains , desert, cheese and bickies and had a couple of glasses of red I was stuffed!!

Breakfast ( full English) was again surprisingly good and coffee was hot and plenty of it.

In summary would I fly them again - yes , next year I am flying BA purely based on the fact that I got a really good deal but am disappointed not to be flying virgin again

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,018 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

The food on Virgin is considered pretty poor and has been for a while now. I've not heard many bad things about the UC suites (personally I'm a BA flyer) but as always and with many things it depends upon your experiences. If you're used to flying Thomson charter then I'm sure it'll be a great experience, if you're more at home in Singapore Airlines Suites or Gulfstream V then you'll probably find it rather disappointing.

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,783 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

As it seems you're only flying UC on the LAS to LHR leg, you won't get to use the wonderful T3 Clubhouse lounge (which, to me is the best thing about Virgin's UC product).

Yes the seats are easier to get in and out of overall than BA, but I much prefer BA at the moment. The food seems better and the staff is better trained yet still friendly. However, of course it's much nicer than further back, and you will get decent choices of food and wine and proper cutlery, napkins, table cloth, etc if those things matter to you. You'll also get PJs for the overnight flight, which you need to be in First on BA to get.

SWT

Penarth, United...
Level Contributor
1,316 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

We loved it. Absolutely nothing to complain about. Good comfort, good food, excellent amenities, excellent IFE, friendly and efficient staff and the bar was fully functional in both directions. Good wines and a very, very smooth Mediterranean vodka! No hesitation in using them again. I just wish they had more destinations.

London
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

SWT - Virgin's Vegas flight goes from Gatwick, so there was no chance of going to the T3 Clubhouse anyway (which is a lot better than the LGW one IMO)

Lewes, United...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
18,783 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

True. Brain freeze! Sorry!

Most of my flights to where I seem to want to go, despite the fact LGW is so much more convenient for me, seem to go from LHR these days, so I didn't remember that the LAS ones are among the few that don't. All my recent VS trips have been from LHR, and I guess the Clubhouse is some compensation!

SWT

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

We few yet again with Virgin Atlantic last month. This was on the restyled A330-300. We also flown Upper Class on the 747 and A340.

As always the service and standard was excellent. The club house at Gatwick, as before, was great; if you haven't tried the club house at Heathrow then I suggest you do. This is the best.

With everything in life you get what you pay for and any chance to fly Upper Class has to be take,, we won't fly any other way. At 63 and 73 years respectively we think we have earned it!

The only downside is the new comic safety film. It is switch off and in our opinion makes fun of what is a serious issue.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

Flown bizz on BA and Emirates and Virgin Upper Class LHR to Tokyo. Personally, even though it involves more clambering, I preferred BA to Virgin. Mind you, the bento box on VS was excellent and our cabin crew were superb

Edited: 07 April 2014, 19:18
Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
12,640 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

I don't know what plane you are flying on but there are some pretty bad reviews of the UC suite on the A330. I found them on Seat Guru. If you look at VFlyer, there are lots of reviews of the UC suites in the form of Trip Reports.

Edited: 07 April 2014, 19:23
London
Level Contributor
1 post
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: virgin atlantic upper class

We flew LHR-MIA return UC recently. Very disappointing. For years we've flown BA Club but thought we'd give VS a go for a change. Won't be doing it again in a hurry. Almost every part of our trip measured up badly to the BA experience. LHR Clubhouse? Over full, with single business travellers taking up so many of the sets of four chairs there was nowhere for our family to sit. Seats in UC on the 747-400 front section positioned so that everyone spends the trip staring at each other. Service on both legs? Slow. With BA you start with drinks and a nibble, on VS it's just a drink. No salad accompaniment to the main course. Poor choice of unappetising and cheap-tasting wine on board. On the return leg on a new A330-300 the aisles in UC are very narrow, which meant every time someone walked up or down the aisle they bumped into your feet if you were asleep (or more likely lying down trying to get back to sleep). Took the crew two and a half hours to get dinner out on a night flight. Club America lounge at MIA very poor, cardboard sandwiches and that's it.

I think the key difference between BA Club and VS UC is that in Club the seat sides seem just a little higher which means you aren't staring at the other passengers quite so blatantly - there's just the illusion of a little more privacy even though BA pack twice as many people into the same space - and BA's sleep suits fit better, too! Glad we tried it, but definitely back to BA from now on unless VS UC prices come down below Club - which seems hugely unlikely.

Reply to: virgin atlantic upper class
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted