We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United Airlines-thank you

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
132 reviews
Save Topic
United Airlines-thank you

I had to cancel my ticket CID-ORD-EWR-BOM-CCU, at the end of October due to a major surgery and subsequent treatments. I sent a refund request with a letter of the surgeon-United refunded the ticket price as well as the E+ fee. I am very grateful to United-I am a loyal flyer of UA, this experience greatly reinforces my liking for UA.

There are two lessons-always buy trip insurance, UA is a fine airlines with good customer relations-thank you UA.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: United Airlines-thank you

Sorry you have to cancel your trip but glad things work out for you regarding refund. You followed the T &Cs.

I wonder..

What does it say about the sorry state of business when consumers are made to feel grateful when business does what business is obligated to do? Are we so conditioned now to expect push backs and resistance every step of the way? :)

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
59,246 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: United Airlines-thank you

"What does it say about the sorry state of business when consumers are made to feel grateful when business does what business is obligated to do? "

How do you know that's what happened here? Do we know for sure that the Terms and Conditions of the ticket allowed for a full refund due to a medical emergency? For most tickets, that's not the case, and that's why travel insurance is a good idea.

There are few enough positive stories on this forum about airlines. Why rain on this one?

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: United Airlines-thank you

Not raining or pissing on anything. I am actually a frequent UA flyer and positive about the experience. Just thinking that we should now and then recalibrate our expectations. A poor person found a wallet full of money and turns it in, and is called a hero. He is admirable for sure for his richness in morality, but our "hero" definition seems a bit stretched. I expect UA to do its job competently as in this case, and it has not done more or less.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: United Airlines-thank you

It's just good to hear now and then a positive review for an airline and there have been some pretty awful cases here when someones been diagnosed with a serious illness and the airlines have refused to even consider a refund.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: United Airlines-thank you

It sounds like the OP had trip insurance which is the reason the refund went so smoothly.

If not then kudos to United Airlines1

Iowa City, Iowa
Level Contributor
1,569 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: United Airlines-thank you

A clarification-I didn't have trip insurance. My comment was thinking aloud, it is not worth the risk not having a trip insurance. This is why I am glad the way it worked out.

Also, my ticket was non refundable, E+.

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: United Airlines-thank you

If you did not have travel insurance and your ticket was non refundable then I agree, UA did you a tremendous favor with the refund (and I am assuming you meant real money back, not credit for future use).

But I am not sure if UA would like this to be well known as it is not the 99% of the times how this would work. Usually you would be looking at future credit minus some amount for change fee. Thanks for the tip.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
65,691 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: United Airlines-thank you

WOW! Glad you clarified the situation. I agree that United wouldn't want everyone to think this would work for them but happy for you that it did!

Palmetto, Florida
Level Contributor
5,800 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: United Airlines-thank you

I was curious and looked up UA's refund policy on nonrefundable tickets:

>>United will refund change fees and tickets in certain cases. All requests must be received prior to the ticket’s expiration date and must be accompanied by proper documentation (see “Documentation requirements and processing” below). We will refund tickets only when the unplanned event prevents the use of that ticket within one year of the ticket’s date of issue. In all other instances, the fare can be credited toward future travel, though the customer may receive a refund for flight change fees (see “Change fee refunds” below).

If your refund request is approved, a refund, minus a $50 USD processing fee*, will be provided to the original form of payment.

This policy applies in the following cases:

Death of the traveler, traveling companion or immediate family member

Travelers in the reservation actively on jury duty during the dates of planned travel

Certain illness situations <<<<

You did have certain illness situation which you had proper documentations, and probably can not reschedule the trip in one year. It sounds like you qualified for UA's refund. Good to know the system works.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: United Airlines-thank you

I received a full refund of a ticket with no fees deducted after the death of a traveler recently. UA processed this refund quickly, and there were no problems.