We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

easyjet and rechargeable batteries

UK
6 posts
Save Topic
easyjet and rechargeable batteries

Hi, I'm afraid I'm suffering from information overload..

I've got flight booked on easyjet to tenerife, I'm planning on taking a bit of camera equipment, I believe my 'standard' camera batteries (Li-Ion) will be ok in hand luggage (?) but I'd also like to take/use two 12v sealed lead acid batteries to power accessories. I'm getting mixed signals almost every time I look. Can somebody clear this up for me. Thanks

Edited: 08 November 2013, 22:16
UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

AFAIK lead acid batteries are not normally allowed on planes

This http://www.easyjet.com/en/dangerous-goods would seem to indicate that you cannot

"Corrosives such as mercury, acids, alkalis and wet-cell batteries"

Now it may be you'd get away with it as they wont be searching your bags. And Gatwick airport only says you cannot take "wet-cell car batteries" I presume this is something much smaller ?

p.s you say "use" - presumably you don't mean use in flight do you?

Edited: 08 November 2013, 23:09
UK
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

this type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110902156328

and wont be using on the plane ;)

thanks

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,800 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

A strummer battery to power camera accessories? That's novel! I'm intrigued. What accessories?

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

I'd probably chance it and have a printout of the Gatwick airport website that says wet cell >>>>car batteries<<<< in case you are stopped at security (which I'd expect you to be) and they say you can take them through. I'd also accept that there's a small chance they will be confiscated whatever the website says.

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

thanks for all your replies.

It's primary use is to power the heating strip to stop the lens misting over during cold nights (I love making timelapses) my plan was also to get the 12v down to 7.4 so I could also power the camera itself from it. (but I've yet to impliment that)

But without this I fear I'll end up with ruined shots so I think I'm probably going to chance it. Does it matter that I'm not travelling from Gatwick though?

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

You’re almost certainly going to be stopped at security. With my son we often carry underwater flash guns (strobes) and re-chargeable batteries for them. They appear very “dense” on the x-ray machines and then the questioning starts. We nearly always have to power up the strobes from each battery before we are allowed through. With your kind of battery you will need PVC tape or a lid on them to prevent anything shorting across the terminals. These sealed batteries are often transported in the hold as part of a powered wheelchair. As someone else has said be prepared to have them confiscated if the security officer doesn't like the look of them.

The airport doesn't matter as it will almost certainly come down to the officer who stops you.

UK
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

appreciate the responses. I bit the bullet and decided to hunt easyjet's number and give them a ring. (wasn't sure if I'd be 'flagging myself up' though, he he) He had to go off and get clarification and I quickly said, please emphasize it's a sealed battery and not a car battery.. I was nervous as hell..

The guy started, "I'm afraid you can't take them on with your hand luggage" and I just felt myself drain.. he then followed up with, "but you can put them in with luggage in the hold". Yey!

I have purchased a couple of pouches to go with the batteries, they look specifically designed for these batteries so the terminals will be covered by that.. or do you think I should tape them up too.

Obviously I need to expect an inqusition.. should I maybe get some pictures of it all setup on the camera etc..?

(1st time flying too.. no idea how these things go)

Edited: 09 November 2013, 20:04
Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,074 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

Tape across the terminals wont hurt. The batteries seem very similar to those that I fitted in my alarm system and I would think that you need to protect the sides from side impact damage which would cause a leak. Maybe double rap them in sealed plastic bags and rap the whole thing in your towels in the middle of the case. When my son is not under the water he enjoys trying multiple exposure photography. Here are a few of his.

Where my son is now in the Philippines

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157633274823224

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157633274823224

Last year in Egypt

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157626871562300

flickr.com/photos/…

Nearer home

flickr.com/photos/…set-72157629261269821

Rochdale, United...
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

we've taken rechargeable AA battery's without being stopped (8 of them in camera case in hand luggage

10. Re: easyjet and rechargeable batteries

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 November 2014, 05:19