We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

Savannah, Georgia
Level Contributor
16 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

I checked in at Budapest as I usually do with Lufthansa with the same roll aboard I always used. Weighed in at 11.1 and forced to check it through to JFK. I asked when the weight rules were effective the checkin desk said always. I checked with delta sky miles team and they are 12 kg minimum before saying checkin. Also I did know Lufthansa is too cheap to allow for priority security line. Last time I fly Lufthansa anywhere. If I want Ryan air rules I will fly them for one tenth the fare to Frankfort. Be aware of this before booking Lufthansa.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
19,549 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

"Be aware of this before booking Lufthansa." - You should always check the baggage rules of any airline that you intend flying with. The fare difference between Lufthansa (business Class) and Ryanair covers lots of things and focusing on the hand baggage rules alone is silly.

Nuremberg, Germany
Level Contributor
7,977 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

@RonalAK

Excellent choice of yours. That way I have to cope with one less fellow passenger that thinks he has to have his kitchen sink with him as carry on baggage. ;)

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

LH's cabin weight allowance is 8kg. Other airlines which are not LCCs also have a weight limit and are strict about it, Virgin Atlantic for example. The fact you got away with it before is neither here not there. Its not new either, there was someone complaining about LH weighing hand baggage out of SFO several years ago so its by no means a new thing, you've just been lucky in the past.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
5,741 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

From their website:

"In First and Business Class you may take two pieces of hand luggage and their contents on board with you. Economy Class passengers are only permitted one piece of hand luggage. Please check for possible country-specific variations to this general rule.

A piece of hand luggage may not be larger than 55 cm x 40 cm x 23 cm and may not weigh more than 8 kg."

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,394 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

"If I want Ryan air rules I will fly them for one tenth the fare to Frankfort."

Your logic seems to be that full-service airlines shouldn't enforce their baggage reagulations. If so, they may as well not even bother having any.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,792 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

Ryanair rules = 10kg (and a hefty charge for being over)

LH rules = 8kg and no charge for putting the bag in the hold if over

In any event, you exceeded both airlines' rules.

Garden Bay, Canada
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,338 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

US based passengers are seldom aware that virtually every place else in the world, the carryon allowance is quite a bit different. Most of us frequent travelers have a US and a European compliant bag (both size and weight are different). They tend to get upset when they arrive in FRA and have their carryon checked for them at the gate because it weighs too much.

Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Bargain Travel, Cruises, Swansea, Cardiff, Carmarthenshire, Neath, Port Talbot
Level Contributor
50,759 posts
435 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

I don't really see what the relevanc eof a 12kg rule on Delta has for someone flying on Lufthansa. You must still observe the rules of whatever the carrier even if you are connecting into Delta, don't you?

Worldwide
Level Contributor
3,092 posts
648 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

Also, don't take anything said here and now as indicative of your potential next flight (on any airline). Airlines may change such details at any time (sometimes for the better, sometimes not). Always check terms and conditions at booking time.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,541 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lufthansa business class service competes with Ryan air - sa

Hi,

I agree with the others.. Largely what other carriers have as their allowance is neither here not there so to speak... Sure , it can be used as a comparative -- but in the end, as far as enforcement goes, those other carries rules are not relevant.

Sounds to me, based only on what's written that LH did correctly enforce tier posted policy .. If such is in fact true, then id wholly support that.

Can there ever be times for discretion? Absolutely yes... But I am of the mindset that discretion should be used for compelling and extraordinary cases - not for what might be described as the more routine non-compliance cases..

Travel Safe,