We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I had a confirmed reservation (with a seat assignment) on a Delta flight from LAX to Sydney for 10 months and the day of my flight they told me they gave my seat to another "paying" passenger. Evidently, the 105,000 miles I used to book this ticket weren't worth anything, the Supervisor was 'very sorry' but wouldn't reinstate my seat and no other Business Class seats were available. Is this the way Delta values it's passengers? Where is it written that Delta can take my seat without my permission?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Rapidex,

From what I've read (see below) only IDB is subject to mandatory compensation. IDG is not mentioned.

…dot.gov/publications/…overbooking

Of course in an overbooking situation, the airline must seek volunteers to take an alternative flight. I'm not seeing anything in the OP's posts that DL actively sought volunteers. Unless you count the agent approaching them in the lounge with a J ticket for the next day. Though at face value that doesn't to me look like an open tender for volunteers.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Air Travel, Thailand
Level Contributor
15,754 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Hi

Re: 10

"Is a downgrade treated in a similar fashion by the DOT or only bumps?"

==> At present ONLY INvoluntary bumps are required to be reported to the DOT - and even then that's only for those carriers whose operational size makes reporting mandatory .

Not all carriers are required to report data.

Also it's not complaints per se that are reportable ... It's events .. If someone is ok with the IDB payment that's still a reportable event .. Just like someone who accepts a VBD and is unhappy about it isn't counted as that's still a VDB event

Travel Safe,

Edited: 10 November 2013, 08:04
Madrid
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Thanks for the prompt replies guys.

I feel for the OP.Since the OP booked his ticket,Delta has devalued its award chart.Giving the OP a refund of the extra miles required between coach and business will no longer be enough to use for a new ticket.Added to the poor availability on Delta,I think the OP has been very badly treated.

As a start if I was the OP,I would write a short polite letter to Delta setting out the events,and see if they wish to do any more.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Rapidex I agree.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 08:28
Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,885 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I would assume the pax was downgraded to Economy but do we know for sure that they took the flight? I mention this because of their comment regarding the possibility of a seat in business the following day.

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,867 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I was wondering the same thing. I can't tell from his posts if he flew or not.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Either way Adam it's still not a good show from Delta. Even if there was a full refund it's massively inconvenient to book a DL award ticket. There should be a gesture to enable her to somehow book another one with the minimum of inconvenience.

This is moot in this case as the flight didn't touch Europe. I'm not a fan of the delayed flight compensation re EU261, but their rules for IDG are good (75% of the ticket for a long haul).

OP, you may want to post on the Delta forum on FlyerTalk and see what they have to say. The airlines participate on FT so you may get some traction.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,179 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I also feel for the op, but find the situation an unusual one.

Firstly they appear not t have sought volunteers, and secondly they came seeking him out in the lounge to do it, that's very unusual to specifically target someone like that.

I haven't read the t and cs but wonder if delta has some form of caveat in there that says you only get the seat if it's not sold on the day, because something is slightly weird in this situation.

Madrid
Level Contributor
3,286 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I haven't read the t and cs but wonder if delta has some form of caveat in there that says you only get the seat if it's not sold on the day, because something is slightly weird in this situation.

No such caveat with Delta.The lounge is a discreet place to find the OP.I presume her boarding pass was scanned on entry,so Delta had an idea where to look.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
32,450 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

"I haven't read the t and cs but wonder if delta has some form of caveat in there that says you only get the seat if it's not sold on the day,"

Nope, an award ticket is regarded as a revenue ticket. It has it's own fare bucket and once confirmed it's confirmed.

"..... because something is slightly weird in this situation."

I agree with that. It looks to me like a corner case. Either Delta miscalculated the bookings and oversold, or there was an equipment change (unlikely, as they only fly 777-200LRs on that route) or there was a change enforced on the airline.

Either way the OP is short changed.