We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I had a confirmed reservation (with a seat assignment) on a Delta flight from LAX to Sydney for 10 months and the day of my flight they told me they gave my seat to another "paying" passenger. Evidently, the 105,000 miles I used to book this ticket weren't worth anything, the Supervisor was 'very sorry' but wouldn't reinstate my seat and no other Business Class seats were available. Is this the way Delta values it's passengers? Where is it written that Delta can take my seat without my permission?

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
20,161 posts
326 reviews
Save Reply
71. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Delta can see availability; ie 3 seats available in Business. If you'd have confirmed they should then have been able to allocate you a seat.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
15,015 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Clearly you don't understand.

Geomedic has explained that the system is not the same as your home computer. And there may have been other factors, like needing to upgrade someone to First to free up a business class seat for you. It is not a simple matter sometimes. The last time it happened to me (albeit with United) it took half an hour before I had my confirmation in hand. And I only got that because I accepted the agent's word that a suitable seat would be available and let her get on with the rebooking - which clearly was not straightforward.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 22:00
Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
73. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

"why couldn't Delta say which seats were available for the next day's flight?" - What sunmagic said. It isn't about defending airlines, it is about understanding how things work.

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
74. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I agree with Geomedic that home computers don't see last seat availability, but the airline does. All the supervisor had to do was say 'seat 4b or 6c, etc is available on tomorrow's flight, which one would you like' and I would have accepted and waited patiently for the rebooking process. But they didn't.

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
75. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Well, you don't understand that I had a Business Class seat booked 10 months ago. No one needed to be upgraded in order for my seat to be available for me to use.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
13,848 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
76. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

"Then why was my seat given to someone else? I surely didn't get to use it."

Most likely because the flight was overbooked. It can happen on any flight.

Edited: 10 November 2013, 23:20
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
5,361 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
77. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Sorry Windsurferwoman but you seem to be missing another basic point here. It is not and never was YOUR seat, it was merely a seat request, albeit made 10 months ago. No airline will ever guarantee a seat no matter how long ago you booked it.

It's not ideal, but that's the way it is unfortuanetly.

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,976 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
78. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

So, are you enjoying Sydney?

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
665 posts
Save Reply
79. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I want to say I have been seated inside a plane when the call was made for volunteers to get back off. If so, announcements needn't be audible only to the ppl at the gate.

But I may have dreamed this, certainly dealing with the baggage would be a pain.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Air Travel, Business Travel
Level Contributor
9,648 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
80. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

" No one needed to be upgraded in order for my seat to be available for me to use."

Dang. You really can't follow the logic can you? <some days one just has to shake one's head>

I will type this slowly so that it isn't confusing. ;-)

The upgrade would have been on the next day's flight. They can see it likely to happen, but they can't put you in a seat until it is vacated. You never were on the next day's flight because you said no. Airlines are allowed to move you and it matters squat when you bought the ticket (with points or miles). Airlines don't bump you in order to sell your award seat. There is no grand conspiracy against you. Ultimately you reached your destination. All they owe you is the points difference, however, depending on how you approach the problem with them, you could get a lot more than just points... but somehow I feel that you will fail to leave the emotion and feigned outrage aside to allow that to happen.