We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

I had a confirmed reservation (with a seat assignment) on a Delta flight from LAX to Sydney for 10 months and the day of my flight they told me they gave my seat to another "paying" passenger. Evidently, the 105,000 miles I used to book this ticket weren't worth anything, the Supervisor was 'very sorry' but wouldn't reinstate my seat and no other Business Class seats were available. Is this the way Delta values it's passengers? Where is it written that Delta can take my seat without my permission?

81. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11 November 2013, 03:27
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Take on board what Geomedic says.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

The sequence of dialogue here, leads me to the distinct impression that we are not going to obtain understanding, regardless of how much factual information is provided. What is most disturbing, is that the OP's currently on holidays and is spending excessive time reiterating the same point over and over, worrying about what may not occur at all on the return leg - when she should be enjoying the holiday.

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
84. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Hmmmm. Would you have accepted a "potential" seat on the next day's flight? And then what would you have suggested when a Business Class seat was not available on that flight either? Was there a First Class section on this flight? Or are you just guessing?

I didn't say there was a conspiracy against me, I just think Delta handled this badly. The seat number shown on my FF itinerary for the last 10 months was given to a revenue passenger. This is not the first time I've been bumped, but it is indeed the first time no one could tell me what seat would be available on a later flight.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
15,251 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

As I said before, yes I would (and have). Had you agreed to change dates the process would have begun and you would have walked away from the lounge with a seat assignment. The agent was looking at seat inventory across various flights at that point. Only when you agreed to a particular fight would she have gone to the trouble of looking at specific seats etc.

And btw as others have said, seat selections on any airline are only requests. Even if you select a seat months before there is never a guarantee you will actually sit in it.

As I said, there seems to have been enough time. In the unlikely event you went ahead and she wasn't able to get a seat the option of flying economy that day would still have been there.

Edited: 11 November 2013, 04:28
Buckinghamshire...
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Why don't you enjoy your holiday and when you get back complain to the airline ... its done, you were downgraded and you're still at your destination on time. Life goes on. Yes you're angry ... a lot of people would be. When writing to the airline put it down calmly abd concisely abd express your dissatisfaction. Don't make it a rant.

I'm sure airlines don't read TA. People here have given you answers which I think you aren't prepared to accept. Remember it isn't a debating forum!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,754 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

>>>I just think Delta handled this badly. The seat number shown on my FF itinerary for the last 10 months was given to a revenue passenger<<<

Have you followed what GeoMedic has explained about FAM? Delta could not have handled this any other way, and it wasn't given to another revenue passenger. You also keep repeating how far out you had your seat assignment, but that does not matter.

That and whether you were informed of potential availability and seat assignment on the next day flights are two completely separate matters.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

OP what you need to look at is RULE 87 of Delta's Contract of Carriage International.

Delta use a practice of overbooking...they sell more seats than they have on board because a lot of people just don't show up to fly... when this happens there is a pecking order of who gets to travel.

It is not a case of first buy first on, it is a case of first to confirm I am going versus last to confirm.

I think in your case you did not do on-line check-in as soon as available, you waited until you got to the airport instead which means you were the last in line, everyone else got in ahead of you and got the seats.

I suggest on the return journey you get on-line at -24 hours, do check-in and print your boarding pass. Remember first in best dressed (even then there is more pecking order)

Edited: 11 November 2013, 04:40
australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Jjst noticed you did check-in online earlier. I suggest you look and see where you sit in their pecking order, by the sounds of it not far enough up the "food chain" compared to the others that travelled that day

Anchorage, Kentucky
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Reply
90. Re: Delta gave my Business Class seat to another passenger!

Actually, you are right, and I'm done with talking about this. I reached my destination, and a day later my luggage did too. The supervisor said Delta gave my FF seat to a revenue passenger but they evidently have the right to do so. My purpose with these posts was to let others know what happened to me could happen to them too, and get some good input about what to request when it does happen. We all know the airlines are not always forthcoming with what they should provide when an unfortunate situation arises - unless you know what to request.