We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Connection time in O'Hare

Stenloese, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Connection time in O'Hare

I have a flight coming in to O'Hare from Copenhagen in T5 andthen have to change to a flight to Las Vegas leaving from T1 - I have 1:55 - will that be sufficient time? Can anyone help me here?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Is this on one ticket? Considering you will have to clear both immigration and customs, drop your bag off for your flight to LAS, reclear clear security and get to the next gate, this will be very tight.

Edited: 14 November 2013, 14:42
Chicago
Level Contributor
6,422 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Barely sufficient if everything goes right and no delays or holdups at any point. Get to immigration as soon as you exit the plane and sit as close to the front as you can.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Barely. I would want 3hrs but 2 is do able if everything goes well.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
18,654 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Not a connection I would try bearing in mind that Immigration wait times for non US citizens could easily be 1 hour +.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

I would risk it if it's a through ticket otherwise go with a longer transit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Also it depends what you are doing in Las Vegas when you arrive. The worst that will happen if you miss your connection is you will be delayed overnight, and that depends on how late in the day your first flight lands. If you don't mind being a few hours or a day late to Las Vegas, then do a 2hr connection. If you've got a critical meeting of some sort or non-refundable hotel or show tickets that you'll lose if you are a day late, then allow a longer connection.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
35,328 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

We have flown into ORD from LHR on several occasions, and we find them very, very slow. When clearing Immigration and Customs at ORD, even on the same airlines, we allow 3-4 hours time, between flights.

One thing that might be helpful, is knowing if you are using the same airlines, or another. Though carriers, like UAL have many gates, on a few concourses, it can be good to know.

Good luck,

Hunt

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
49,430 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

3 hours even on one ticket, probably 4 if not.

Stenloese, Denmark
Level Contributor
2 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Thanks for all your input - I think I will see if I can find another connection.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,062 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Connection time in O'Hare

Good decision.