We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK passport valid for USA ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
UK passport valid for USA ?

I have a passport issued in March 2006 - is it valid for travel to the USA, as the websites refer to any passport issued between Oct 2005-Oct 2006 needing to be machine readable with a 'printed' digital photo - mine looks like it has been stuck on and laminated, so I am not sure they will let me in ? I travel in Feb 2014 so have time to apply for a new passport.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

My understanding was that all UK passports were eligible for the ESTA scheme - the following is from the help page of the ESTA website

"What are the passport requirements for travel under the Visa Waiver Program?

Visa Waiver Program requirements are:

•The passport must have a machine-readable zone on the biographic page.

•Issued on or after October 26, 2005 – Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must have a digital photo.

•Issued on or after October 26, 2006 – Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must be an electronic passport with a digital chip containing biometric information about the passport owner.

EXCEPTION: To be eligible for the Visa Waiver Program, persons presenting United Kingdom passports must possess the unrestricted right of permanent abode in England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, the Channel Islands, and the Isle of Man"

South Pacific
Destination Expert
for Hobart, Tasmania
Level Contributor
28,466 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

I think you are misreading the exception, TomC97. It does not vary the requirements for a machine readable passport, a digital photo or a chip. It simply limits the ability of some British passport holders - those who do not have a right of UK abode - to use the scheme.

I think the OP's understanding is correct. Best to get a new passport.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
177 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

Sorry but I'm really confused. Can someone clarify whether post 1 or 2 is correct?

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

Also if you are thinking of applying make sure you use the legitimate US sites, this was in the news yesterday.

couriermail.com.au/travel/travel-advice/scam…

If there is a scam website preying on unsuspecting Aussies there is more than likely one in the UK and other countries as well.

UK
Level Contributor
7,277 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

These are the bits that are relevant:

===========

"•The passport must have a machine-readable zone on the biographic page.

•Issued on or after October 26, 2005 – Each Visa Waiver Program passport issued on or after this date must have a digital photo."

============

As your passport was issued after 26 October 2005 it must have a digital photo. If it had been issued before then it would not need a digital photo.

So - as your passport was issued in 2006 and doesn't have a digital photo it looks like you will indeed need a new one.

Edited: 15 November 2013, 09:17
London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

Thanks to all the contributors - I think the problem is the definition of a digital photo, as the info says it must not be stuck on or laminated. I had the photo taken at one of those photo booths in a shopping mall, and then sent it off to the UK passport office, so I am not sure that counts as a digital photo ? I think the naswer might be to get a new passport to be on the safe side with a biometric chip.

Liverpool, UK
Level Contributor
20,777 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

Where you have the photo taken is irrelevant - a digital photo will be printed onto the page of the passport rather than simply being glued on as in the old days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

Thanks - but mine looks like it has been glued on and then laminated over - it definitely has not been printed on. So I think it doesn't qualify.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,598 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

It doesn't qualify.

get a new one, and the pics you send in from a photo booth will be scanned by the passport office to use on your new passport - and also to store on its computers for future use.

Do not use any non-official passport websites, just apply direct to the passport office or use the post office check and send service.

No need to get bogged down in small print etc - just apply now so you have it well in time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK passport valid for USA ?

thanks jeremymangu