We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel alone to Thailand

Portsmouth, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Travel alone to Thailand

Hi,

I am planning to visit my son in Koh Tao hopefully before christmas. My problem is I don't want to travel alone. I am a energetic 65 year old female travelling from Heathrow. Nothing booked yet just waiting on advice.

Many thanks

Rosina

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Ok, but what is your question. Are you advertising for a travelling companion? This is a bit dodgy as the type of people who will contact you will probably want to do so for unpleasant reasons ie carry something for them.

It's fine to travel alone as a woman, I do it weekly to all over the globe. It's no big deal and lots of solo flyers do it.

Just book and go.

Portsmouth, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Hi thanks for your reply.

I think this is just a age thing.

I did travel abroad alone but that was some time ago.

Rosina

Watford, United...
Level Contributor
5,034 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Rosina - You may be nervous but you will find that the benefits of visiting your son in a beautiful part of the world will outweigh any fear that you have. Just go for it and don't look back.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Rosina,

No special issues other than a long journey. You'd fly to BKK, go there through immigration, then take a domestic flight to USM (Koh Samui - do prefer Bangkok Airways to Thai: better services and many more flights as USM airport belong to them). From USM (my favourite airport in the world :-)), taxi to the Maenam Pier (the closest to the airport) and boat to Koh Tao (about 2 hours). So, yes, a long journey it is. But it is a beautiful place, really worth it. And I am sure your son would be ready to pick you up at USM.

Geneva, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Geneva, Liechtenstein, Air Travel
Level Contributor
4,462 posts
508 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

I should add that Bangkok Airways (http://bangkokair.com/eng) has an interline agreement with many airlines which would allow you to buy one single ticket, guaranteeing you the connection at BKK and the checking-through of the luggage to USM.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Don't worry you will enjoy, just visit the Thailand forum if you need more help in planning, in addition to flying via Koh Samui there are other options to get to Koh Tao

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
37,346 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Go go go. One of the most beautiful places on earth.

Dallas, Texas
Destination Expert
for Boston, Orlando, Walt Disney World, Las Vegas
Level Contributor
25,945 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Yes go and have a ball with your son.

MA
Destination Expert
for New England
Level Contributor
6,250 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Once you're there you'll be with family, so it is only the flight on which you will be by yourself. You'll give your son a copy of your flight itinerary so he knows your plans and where you'll be. Ask questions here about the airports you'll be transiting though so you'll know what to expect, and check out their websites to get a feel for where things are located. I just read an Icelandair Facebook post with a photo of their oldest passenger onboard, a 100 year old Icelandic woman! Do not worry, 65 is the new 50!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Travel alone to Thailand

Honestly, there is nothing to worry about, if you would get on a bus, a train or in a taxi by yourself, it's really no different to getting on a plane. You can't get lost, it's all clearly sign posted, it's just an irrational fear.

65 is not old, it's not age related, just go for it, you won't look back,,promise..:-))