We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

I fly Emirates Sydney-Dubai-Rome and reverse. I've never done on-line checkin as it's not mandatory for this full service route. The option is available but I've found on the last three occasions when departing Sydney that the queue for 'already checked in online' is longer than those who haven't checked in at all.

Just wondering what you all do? Just out of curiosity, really.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

Check in on-line. If the queue for 'already checked in online' is much longer, join the other queue.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
11,129 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

Join the Qantas club ... you get to check-in at the business class desk even if flying economy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

Oh, they must be different in Brisbane. I always check-in online and sometimes I'm the only one in that line!!

Edited: 19 November 2013, 08:40
Australia
Destination Expert
for Pompeii, Herculaneum, Naples
Level Contributor
8,776 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

Well, this is why I'm asking - I haven't checked in online, so I go straight to the front of the line and get my bag in while they're all waiting.

australia
Level Contributor
2,551 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

I've checked in on-line for Melbourne and the bag drop was empty at opening time and the same in Paris. The queue in Paris for those that hadn't checked in online was enormous though.

Sydney/Melbourne
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

The only real advantage of OLCI on a full service airline is that you get to pick a seat and you have the opportunity to change your seat when you check in. If you check in at the airport you can find yourself with the leftover seats.

In any case, if you are already checked in online, you can go to either line.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Bargain Travel, Food and Travel
Level Contributor
25,752 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

If you're going to be flying frequently over the next 12mths, Ables suggestion of the Qantas Club maybe worthwhile. Particularly if you also travel with a partner.

Business Class checkin at all airports, extra luggage, lounge access - particularly handy for lengthy connections and delays.

India
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
5,254 posts
173 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

I prefer to check in on line,I do prefer to choose my seat as well and do it this way rather than the airport and get a rubbish seat, and have noticed around different airports different sizes of 'q's.

Couple of weeks ago there must of only been about 3 people waiting to check in in the OLCI at Narita but the normal check in was rammed (economy). But you also get to 'q' jump with Skywards status

Sunshine Coast...
Level Contributor
2,812 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

I always check in online and I've never seen the bag drop line be longer than the check in line. Seems rather odd that people wouldn't go to the shorter line?

In Paris last year flying Emirates the line to check in was so huge that it completely blocked one section of the airport. I gave up counting but there were well over 100 people in the line which was being served by only 4 agents.

The OLCI line was empty and the business class line had 1 or 2 people in it.

But as the others have said if you have already checked in you can join either line and you get the added benefit of choosing a better seat 24 hours before those who don't bother to check in online.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying full service - checkin online or at airport?

Check in on-line. If the queue for 'already checked in online' is much longer, join the other queue.

======

+1.

In any case, you should always do OLCI, because in addition to all the other reasons upthread regarding seats and so on, if there is a problem with your booking you'll pick it up 24 hours ahead, when you are at home, have access to a phone computer etc, rather than discover it last minute at the airport, when it may be too late to fix anything.