We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

Just wanted to do a quick post so others are aware of this issue. We bought Toronto to Bombay online with FlightHub, on Jet Airways. A day and a half before departure we noticed one passenger name had a typo. Instead of 'Artur' it was 'Arur'. Agreed we should have checked the tickets previously but we missed it. It was clearly a typo, probably the 't' key didnt get pressed hard enough or something. Its a code share with the first on Air Canada - a much hated airline in Canada. The fare was a refundable type flexi-fare so I called AIr Canada to correct it, and they said ok there is likely to be $50-100 fee associated with it, but upon transferring me to the next associate they realised it was a Jet Airways issued ticket, so I called Jet. They flat refused. The CSR wouldnt even talk to me, he said the ticket was unusable, and no he couldnt transfer me to the supervisor. Period. After about 15 minutes of my going WTH, i got the supervisor who wasted another 30 minutes and then proceeded to inform me that BOTH the tickets that were on that reservation would be cancelled (even though the typo was on one only)!!!!!! SERIOUSLY????? Are you kidding me??? He said there is nothing he can do and this is Jet Policy. I really didnt have any flexibility at this point in terms of rescheduling so he went ahead and booked two NET NEW tickets on the EXACT same flight with THE EXACT same seats etc at an incredibly HIGHER fare. I didnt pay, I told him I'd call back in an hour - he said then he wont be able to offer me this very high but 'discounted' fare. !!!!!!!! I called FlightHub and they said no problem there will be a small penalty for the change - but then after talking to Jet they said Jet refuses to correct the typo!! ANyhoo I ended up keeping the one ticket with the correct name(acc to flighthub what the Jet Supervisor told me was crazy talk - I agree) and ended up paying a lot more (but still less than the discounted goodwill fare offered by Jet) and got a whole net new second ticket issued. Now since the old ticket WAS flexifare - jet still keeps about 400$ of that too and I will see my refund of $1000 in about 2 months! Other than paying through the nose and getting the 'T' inserted in the name, everything else is the same - same last name, same DOB, same Nationality, same flights, same Seat even (oh they obliged). At the time I bought the new ticket there were several seats (about a dozen acc to my partners travel agent) available on the very same Jet flight! The flight was not even full less than 30 hours from departure!! Now I know why!

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

The reason name changes are not permitted normally is because unscrupulous third party agents would block purchase all the tickets, then sell them on for a much higher fee and simply have the airline change the names.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 15:34
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

Did you actually read my post froggy? ;-)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
35,188 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

I expect she was not responding to your post...and she does not have to. Whatever you think makes no difference to the OPs problem.

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

"What does the airline have to lose by having a policy that says name changes are allowed for a set fee,"

Nothing but it is their airline and it their rules. If the ticket purchased does not allow name changes that is all there is to it. I am sure they have a perfectly good business reason for doing this and no matter what it is, it is what they do.

As was said, don't like the rules, don't fly that airline.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,418 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

"I expect she was not responding to your post.."

No she clearly wasn't. Because my post addresses her issue. It is very easy for airlines to prevent what she suggests by doing what airlines like Ryanair do - charging the difference in fare on top of the change fee, making it unprofitable for people to do what she had suggested.

I realise that it makes no difference to the OP's problem. I was simply addressing the general point.

I agree about airlines and rules. But smart companies know that alienating customer when they don't need to is a foolish thing to do.

Edited: 19 November 2013, 15:52
Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

I am shocked since they would change flights but not do a name correction - and an obvious typo at that. Also since their supervisor told me that even the good ticket on the same reservation would have to be cancelled - which is an obvious lie. We were looking forward to flying with Jet as in 2009 we flew Sri Lanka -Delhi and the cabin crew was amazing. Since I have been telling all my friends about this, I was given the contact info of a friends' friend in india who owns a couple of travel agencies. It turns out that Jet has been making huge losses and was hard pressed to make their current payments. he used some lingo that I didnt quite understand but there are news reports that came up in google. So they changed all their policies and took away discretion from customer service. There have been all sorts of issues with baggage allowance and expat/PIO indians between North AMerica and India, so Indians have already moved away from this airline on this sector. He said if it wasnt for the recent deal with Etihad, Jet would've gone under. Well serves me right for buying tickets with an Indian airline before first checking with my contacts in India. Never again!

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
34 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

This airline is a definite avoid for all. We went through absolute horror stories when Air Canada was similarly close to bankruptcy! Read on, its from Oct 2013. I really should have researched the airline.

firstpost.com/business/even-etihads-funds-ma…

Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,478 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

"even the good ticket on the same reservation would have to be cancelled - which is an obvious lie."

Perhaps not. You did not buy the ticket from Jet you bought it from a thrird party and perhaps the two tickets were joined somehow so changing one affected the other.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Leeds, Bradford
Level Contributor
17,984 posts
280 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

Thanks for the heads up but I won't be boycotting them over what was in essence your error.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,198 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Jet Airways Buyer Beware!!!

Not a definite avoid at all, especially when the only mainline alternative in India is Air India. I'll continue to fly with them for my domestic legs and connections to/from United. Plus, I've never had problems, nor a bad flight with Jet.

As has been mentioned, the correct thing to do was to go to the third party booker in the first place. They had the contract with 9W and were the ones to sort it. While it may seem harsh that they won't correct a typo for free that's their policy. Perhaps had you checked and discovered the problem much earlier, not 1.5 days before departure, they would have been more amenable, perhaps not.