We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Los Angeles...
8 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

My boyfriend and I are flying with American Airlines coach to London in March. I've heard a lot of bad things about them, which I wish I knew before booking with them. Do you know what flying with American Airlines is like? I don't even think they have personal TVs behind headrests...

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

>>Sorry to sound a bit alcohol obssesed but when you don't sleep on planes you only have the entertainment channels or a book to keep you occupied the odd drink can be welcome<<

You see? There is the other benefit,,,having to rely on the ife drives a person to drink...:-))

Australia
Level Contributor
1,411 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

I've had a number of 'good' flights on AA over the last few years, however we were treated to their worst on a Chicago - London last year. The plane was old (i.e. upholstery coming away from the seats kind of old), the crew were miserable (I would be too if I had to work on the scruffy old plane), the IFE was drop down TVs, and the food was Cheese Pizza. Announced through the cabin as "cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese pizza?".

However, I recently also had a bad experience with VA in Premium Economy (first time not in ecomony). All other economy flights with VA have been great!

For what it's worth, I'm also a fan of seat back IFE, I can watch a movie while having my dinner, and I don't need the tray table down after the tray has been cleared.

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,824 posts
195 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

Just to give the OP a bit of sensible and non-judgemental advice, I would never get on a long flight without a book or magazine or ipod/ipad or some way of occupying myself. The seat back systems have been known to break down, and it's not always possible to move to a different seat to find one that works. And if you're a fussy eater, it would be foolish to assume the crew will be able to feed you to your satisfaction. It's very basic, economy air travel, so it's really up to you to take what you can onboard to ensure a reasonably comfortable flight.

Nassau, New...
Level Contributor
4,420 posts
Save Reply
34. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

@tigga23 - pizza? that's a new one!

@sikaylasko - Yes, a good number of times, and even though I always tried to book with the seat back entertainment, it never worked out with my schedule. I have no complaints about their service or the condition of the planes, at least not the ones I was in.

35. Re: Has anyone flown with American Airlines?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:19