We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
974 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

I am leaving on Saturday to Phoenix then Vegas. My medical will cover out of network needs, but is there an insurance that will help with lost luggage (clothing expense until found), missed or delayed flights due to weather (hotel or other needs).

Am I forgetting anything that I would need to be insured for?

I have read some posts re insurance, but would like a recommendation of a policy that someone has actually had to made a claim on and that worked well for them.

Total cost of this trip will be around $500 for flights, no hotel room costs.

Thanks!!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
9,205 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

My guess is very few people buy that kind of insurance. A lot of people have coverage like that as part of credit card coverage.

Without such coverage, if something goes wrong, and you need a hotel room, you just book one for the night..you will be out $100-$150 on average. The airline is still obligated to get you to your destination...as for lost luggage, you file a claim with the airline. You might get something, you might not, but I would not buy specific insurance just for that.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

The airlines themselves usually offer insurance as an add on when you buy your tickets. Their insurance usually covers things like lost luggage etc.

I agree that many of us have that sort of coverage by using a particular credit card to buy the tix.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

This is a great site for comparing travel insurance policies. You can also buy from the airline. But honestly, on a simple trip like yours, I'm not sure why you'd bother. Your medical is covered. A big reason people buy travel insurance is so if they have to cancel the trip, they get reimbursed. You're leaving in 3 days so that's not very likely and the only thing you've pre paid is a $500 flight anyway. The point of insurance is that you pay a small amount of money to protect yourself from a situation that could result in a large financial loss that you could not cover. You're not going to have any major financial losses. Probably the worst case is a replacing a lost suitcase of clothes. So don't bother with the insurance.

https://www.squaremouth.com/

And do check your credit card. Many of them include some basic travel insurance for lost luggage.

Cotswolds
Level Contributor
11,381 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

Your home contents insurance may cover you for articles away from home -

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

Thanks, all!

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,149 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

I probably wouldn't bother to get insurance with only $500 cost outlay.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

Thanks redhead47 - I do agree. I just know that when someone complains about ending up incurring costs due to travel plans gone awry, people say that they should have insurance. I wanted to make sure that, even though I was only spending $500 on flights - staying with family and having comped rooms have no costs there - that there wasn't something I was missing re insurance.

Flying out on Sunday with a weather report of high winds, snow and low temps with a layover in Chicago...wish me luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,570 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

You're not missing anything. Insurance companies are in business to make money. They know the odds you will lose your luggage or get delayed. They know on average how much they will have to pay out in costs. And they charge enough to cover all that plus make a profit. What that means is if you buy insurance on every trip, you'll lose money. It only pays to get insurance if the cost you are insuring against is so large it would cause you great financial harm if it happened. Or if they provide some sort of extra service that you value.

Good luck. We do get a lot of wind and snow in Chicago so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Bloomfield, New York
Level Contributor
974 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

Thanks, wes032!

10. Re: Travel Insurance for domestic flights...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2014, 06:19