We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

United now enforcing carry on rules

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
31,612 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
United now enforcing carry on rules

I’ve been watching the rumors about this on FlyerTalk for about a month, and now United has posted this ….

https:/…united-carry-on-bags.aspx

United is now enforcing its carry on bag rules. New sizers are installed at the gates for both the carry on bag and personal item. Every bag has to fit the sizer, or it’s checked into the hold with the appropriate checked bag fee being charged.

The maximum dimensions for the carry on and personal item are –

- Carry On – 22” x 14”x 9” (56 x 35 x 23 cm)

- Personal Item - 17" x 10” x 9” (43 x 25 x 23 cm)

There have been reports, observations and discussions on FlyerTalk (see below), and it’s pretty clear that it’s being enforced, including for First and Business class passengers and elite frequent fliers, so nobody gets a pass.

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileageplus-conso…

I’d be expecting a few complaints and rants to start showing up around the web in the coming weeks and months. There may be some airports that haven’t yet taken delivery of the sizers and so some people may get away with it for a few more weeks (or until they try boarding their connecting flight).

But be aware, it looks like no more kitchen sinks on United.

Chicago
Level Contributor
7,363 posts
1 review
Save Reply
71. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

Oh well 32inches makes it totally understandable then :)

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
72. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

>>The issue is that Indian taxes on TVs are so huge it's cheaper to buy them overseas<<

Isn't it Walmart that has been advertising 32" flat sceeen TVs for I think $98 USD? Guess they thought the baggage handlers would smash it . . . although the things got shipped to the US from China okay!

Flint, Michigan
1 post
Save Reply
73. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

It has always been my position that airlines should charge to bring bags on the plane and check them for free. If airlines are truly interested in quicker boarding this will accomplish that goal and prevent everyone from bringing everything they brought with them on the plane instead of checking it. The only ones inconvenienced by this are the business travelers (me) and they (me) would be happy to pay for the privilege of bringing bags on the plane.

74. Re: United now enforcing carry on rules

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2015, 05:17