We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is there such a thing ?

North West England...
Level Contributor
301 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Is there such a thing ?

Is there such a devise that I can take on my flights that tell me where I am flying over in more detail than the monitors on board most aircrafts, I would love to know what's below I'm sure it would make my long haul flights much more pleasurable

Thanks

Canada
Level Contributor
4,993 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is there such a thing ?

My husband has taken his GPS/Garmin and it seemed to work OK where we were....it was a flight from Victoria to Calgary, not sure how it would do over Siberia or somewhere like that.

But the battery didn't last too long and other issues occurred - can't remember what they were.

Kind of a useless answer, sorry :)

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,086 posts
151 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is there such a thing ?

An atlas, although you would actually have to monitor where you were by checking out the window for visual references, eg towns, rivers, lakes, mountains etc

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
9,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is there such a thing ?

Plenty of longhaul carriers have IFE that shows where your current position is. If there's wifi onboard then you could check flightaware.com or similar.

GPS isn't permitted on many carriers.

Nowy Sacz, Poland
Level Contributor
4,024 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is there such a thing ?

Personally, I look out of thw widow on take off and again when we're coming in to land - otherwise, knowing where we are is just one more reminder of the hours of discomfort ahead!

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,185 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is there such a thing ?

I've seen GPS recorders that record your position every minute. You then display the file on a PC (when your back on the ground) using Google Earth etc. It displays location height and speed.

Not what you are looking for though. Would a tablet with GPS display your location on maps stored in its memory? I think for any GPS to work you would need a window seat.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,787 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is there such a thing ?

I have found that on airlines which allow GPS systems, it can often be difficult for a smartphone or tablet to get in touch with enough satellites to get a 3-dimensional location, even when sitting in a window seat (in other seats it's almost impossible). I used MyTracks (which came with my Android phone) to log the positions and it got superimposed on a map when I got back to having internet. If you want to do it during the flight you would need to have some sort of navigation software with all the maps that cover the regions you are flying over downloaded and available.

I was reading the other day that Glympse (the application that lets you "share your where" with friends) is going to work on flights that have the GoGo Wifi service installed. What I am not sure is what that does to fix the issue with not being able to use a GPS signal, since that is what the application usually uses.

Long answer, I know - short version: No, not that I am aware of.

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Solo Travel
Level Contributor
17,517 posts
191 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is there such a thing ?

I think Delta's relatively new iPad and the "glass bottom" feature, sort of does this:

…thedigitalcenter.com/projects/8517-deltas-g…

Amsterdam, The...
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
40,044 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is there such a thing ?

anglicum I hope you are not one of the pilots ;-)

9. Re: Is there such a thing ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:17