We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

I have been advised on here before to switch my watch and devices to my destination time once I board the plane, to try and help avoid jet lag

However..

I have a flight from dub-atl then a 2hr layover & - flight atl-sfo (my final destination) these cities are not the same time zone

Should I still change my watch to SF time or wait until I get to atl to change it

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
28,209 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

From a jet lag pov it doesn't matter. :-)

FWIW I do change my watch to the time zone of the intermediate airport, but that's because for the few hours I'm there I want to know the correct time, for example how much longer till boarding.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,565 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

I always change my time as soon as I board a long haul - I do think it helps but most of my trips the time difference between the final destination and the stopover leg is the same anyway.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 23:01
Sherbrooke, Canada
Level Contributor
39,290 posts
814 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

It makes no difference to how your body reacts.

I stopped wearing a watch 3-4 years ago and my phone and tablets change automatically. So I never worry about this.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,807 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

Makes no difference for jet lag. I find it convenient to have it set to the next city you'll be arriving in.

5. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 05:05
Edited: 23 November 2013, 05:05
Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
4,720 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

Hi

for me it is not relevant t. doesn't matter what time you have on your watch the flight gets to where it is going on it's on time.all your watch can do is to make you worry if flight runs late and can casue confusion i fyou set the wrong time

I was on a flight comming back from mexico to LAX from central to pacific time zone a passenger started to freak out that he was going to be late for his connecting flight as we were nearing LAX so the FA were being helpful trying to get him to the front of the plane and all his carry-ons so he could be first off then one of the FA checked his next flight and realized he was still on central time and had over 2 hrs to make connection boy was he embarassed and had a long walk back to his original seat with all eyes staring and snickering

as you are transfering all airports have clocks everywhere..I have never needed a watch in any airport unless you are sitting in a bar drinking. I think more people miss thier flights because of drinking in bars then not knowing the time.

Florida - Alaska...
Destination Expert
for Chiang Mai, Chiang Mai Province, Outdoors / Adventure Travel
Level Contributor
5,203 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

I don't think setting your watch makes a whole lot of difference, unless you are someone who checks it every ten minutes, in which case I would set it for your next layover, so you are not constantly trying to do the math for figure out how much longer ....

The only "resetting" I do, is to adopt my destination's sleep awake cycle as soon as I board my first flight, so as to give my body a bit more time to adapt to the new timezone.

London, United...
Level Contributor
27,178 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

I do understand the concept of changing your watch to mentally adjust to the new time zone. However agree it has sod all impact on jet lag, sadly enough.

I also change my watch to the intermediate airports time, and that's also because I just want to know the correct time.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
5,697 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

Really makes no difference either way. I would change my watch to ATL time either before your flight departs or sometime prior to arrival. This may not help you avoid jet lag, but it will help to insure you don't accidentally miss your connecting flight.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing watch to destination time at takeoff

I have been advised on here before to switch my watch and devices to my destination time once I board the plane, to try and help avoiding jet lag

-------

It helps gets you in the right frame of mind for when you arrive. It does zero to counter jet lag. Id set it to changeover point to avoid a bigger problem than jetlag, eg missing second flight !