We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

Colorado Springs...
1 post
Save Topic
Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

I've been using Expedia.com for years, and NEVER will again for ANY reason. My mother received word that her best friend of 30 years had weeks to live, and bought a ticket using Expedia, including the "insurance" due to the delicate circumstances. Tragically, her friend passed before she could get there. When she tried to change her ticket so she could attend the funeral, she was told she'd have to purchase another ticket (over $500), and then IF she was approved, they would process a refund for the additional ticket - it would only take four weeks. She can't afford to purchase another ticket - which is why she bought the "insurance" in the first place. She spent over an hour on the phone (40 minutes of that on hold) with Expedia trying to resolve this, with no luck. I'll be letting everyone know about this company and their smoke and mirrors, bait and switch tactics.

Boston
Level Contributor
923 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

Did she file a claim with the insurance. I think, I am not certain that an ins company underwrites the actual insurance coverage and that it is not Expedia who makes the decision of coverage.

I have seen many provisions in many travel polices that have coverage if the party you are going to visit become ill or die they will cover if the trip is cancelled. Something to look into.

Edited: 22 November 2013, 23:00
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Air Travel
Level Contributor
30,883 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

My condolenses to your mother. But it's pretty clear that this has nothing to do with Expedia, and everything to do with your mother completely misunderstanding what she was buying.

A quick look at the Expedia insurance policy (one mouse click after selecting your flights) reveals -

"Up to 100% of your flight cost is reimbursed by the insurer if you change or cancel your dates:

- For covered medical reasons that affect you, your immediate family or travel companion

- If you lose your job involuntarily or must serve jury duty"

And here's the full policy plan, a further one mouse click - expedia.com/daily/…total_protection.asp

Unless your mother's best friend was also an immediate family member or business partner, then she would not not have been covered, and should not have bought that policy. And if she purchased a non-refundable and non-changeable ticket, then it's the airline's rules as well as the agent/booker that she has to read and understand.

A unfortunate lesson, that you should read the rules and T+C's of the airline and fare you're purchasing, as well as those of the agent, and read insurance policies before clicking the "Add Insurance" button.

And no I don't work for Expedia, and I wouldn't buy airline tickets from them or any online booker.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,545 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

Sadly, your mother bought a no-change, non-refundable ticket. And also bought insurance with good intentions - but the wrong policy that might not cover these circumstances -as the above post says.

It's not fair to criticise Expedia when they've done nothing wrong.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
10,857 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

OP - if your mom had purchase directly from the airlines, she still would have had to pay the change fee (at least $150 for most airlines) and them any difference in fare.

I am sorry for the loss of your mom's dear friend. But, Expedia did nothing wrong.

5. Re: Review of Expedia.com - THE WORST

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 23 November 2013, 05:05