We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marzipan and airport security

Casper WY
Level Contributor
149 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Marzipan and airport security

I was reading the resurrected fruitcake thread the other day and came upon a comment that mentioned that marzipan triggered an alert due to its smell and the fact that apparently it has the consistency of plastic explosives. So I googled it and found some other comments saying the same thing, although one seemed to imply it was an urban myth.

My problem is that my best friend used to live in Germany and when I asked her what I could bring her back from Germany/Austria for Christmas she just kept drooling and mumbling "marzipan, marzipan, marzipan." So I am planning to shop for marzipan in many forms - plain, in chocolate candy, baked in breads, etc. I was planning to take some of this carry on, but I guess that is not a good idea. Actually, I can understand that - if they don't allow peanut butter why would marzipan be ok.

So now I am planning to put all this stuff in checked luggage traveling VIE/FRA/DEN/CPR. I would guess that it would be scanned in both VIE and FRA. I have no problem with my luggage being opened and inspected, I just don't want to have anything confiscated. So my question (finally!), is has anyone had experience bringing marzipan through these airports either successfully or unsuccessfully? Surely this is common this time of the year in these countries.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,931 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Marzipan and airport security

>>Guess marzipan must be the marmite of the sweet world...:-))<<

Or Vegemite, if an Antipodean ;-)

@ Heresmyreply - I eat the cake AND the marzipan and icing ;-)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
2,699 posts
293 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Marzipan and airport security

Me too able58. First time I tried Amaretto I thought oooh, liquid marzipan! Yummy.

Casper WY
Level Contributor
149 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Marzipan and airport security

Thank you all for your reassurances. I am glad to know that I won't be disappointing my friend or spending a lot of money on goods that don't make it through.

Just for the record, I don't care for marzipan either, but that may be because I've only had the stuff that is available in the US which is pretty low quality - yuck! But I do believe that the German/Austrian marzipan is much better. Can't speak for the marzipan available in the UK, but the friend who is requesting this is British and she never brings it back from England when she goes home.

Thanks again to you all.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,977 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Marzipan and airport security

Your nearest decent-sized city probably has a German food shop with lots of authentic marzipan. If I need marzipan, I can walk over and get some. :)

So far, whenever I've found some food I loved while travelling, I've been able to find it - maybe with a bit of searching - somewhere in my home city.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Brisbane
Level Contributor
12,442 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Marzipan and airport security

Yep... yesterday polished of a pack of those Dutch almond biscuits....

Niederegger which is available at supermarkets in Australia and David Jones food halls is also in the states through a place called ...

www.worldmarket.com/search.do…

26. Re: Marzipan and airport security

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 November 2014, 05:17